Engine damage at 22K - chance of Porsche goodwill?

drcarrera

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ATM said:

New condenser already but just the one side?

Presume the GTS was 2014 right or is this an earlier car?

Was it damaged by a stone or rotten from leaves etc?

It's a 2015. It was seeping from around half way up so probably damaged by a stone (although I did fish a dead bird out of there a few weeks earlier!). I should have fitted a set of Zunsports...

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it's a relief - and helps keep the man maths in play with the wife for an upgrade next year (car, not wife!). 

Brilliant. Name that servicing dealer, hope a few more here choose to use them. And (if you haven’t already) make your thanks clear to them. As discussed on another thread, good service should be rewarded. 

Well done. 

Tbh when I read what happened, I thought you had no chance of avoiding a massive bill, but fair play to Porsche, instead of trying to wiggle out of it, they stepped up

Great news! 

10 hours ago, drcarrera said:

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it's a relief - and helps keep the man maths in play with the upgrade of the wife next year. 

Edited for accuracy ;)

Great result too, let’s hope she’s back on your drive and driving like new soon.

You will be in a great position to compare yours & the 718 too given you’ve had on an extended test drive :)

10 hours ago, drcarrera said:

It's a 2015. It was seeping from around half way up so probably damaged by a stone (although I did fish a dead bird out of there a few weeks earlier!). I should have fitted a set of Zunsports...

Ironically if you had done so, there may not have been a successful outcome to the engine replacement under warranty....

4 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Ironically if you had done so, there may not have been a successful outcome to the engine replacement under warranty....

It wasn't under warranty anyway (hence the problem!) so I doubt it'd made any difference.

The dealer who has helped me is my local one (see my location - not many to choose from!).

21 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Brilliant. Name that servicing dealer, hope a few more here choose to use them. And (if you haven’t already) make your thanks clear to them. As discussed on another thread, good service should be rewarded. 

+1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, final update on this - I finally got the car back yesterday and all's good! It felt so nice to be back in the GTS after having to put up with the 718S for seven weeks!  I've a feeling the engine is a bit smoother on start up when cold than it was so that could have been a symptom of the spark plug issue, or perhaps I'd just got use to the four cylinder 718 - the 6 certainly feels way smoother than that in comparison.  In fact it's just far nicer to drive, full-stop. The 718 felt a bit quicker mid-range but the power delivery of the GTS is much more to my liking, as is the ride (probably because the 718 didn't have PASM). Handling feels a tad sharper as well. And I'd always rather have the manual of my GTS rather than the PDK of the 718.  There's not a single reason I can think of that I would upgrade to a 718, apart from perhaps the new Spyder, although I think I'd find the roof a bit of a faff for an everyday car.

Lastly, a big thumbs-up for Porsche Bournemouth who fought my corner and got the entire engine work done at no cost to me and let me extend their 24 hour Boxster loan car to seven weeks! 

Archived