What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Washed it! Really grubby from the building work and constant crappy weather. Really needs another application of Poorboys Blackhole, but a quick wash and dry makes it look ok. The only shiny thing amongst the chaos at the moment

GDf2cZQ.jpg

Not strictly today, but over the last couple of weekends my 3.2 S has had discs and pads all round, plus a new (to me) head unit and also refurbished heater switches. The head unit is an EBay buy Pioneer SPH DA-120 CarPlay unit which is superb. I’ve installed a USB / Aux extension cable in the centre console cubbyhole in place of the 12V socket so my phone can be out of harms way and no dangly white charger cables in the cabin. The 12V cabling etc is still in the car but hidden under the centre console for refitting if necessary in future. https://imgur.com/gallery/VGeWSrL

Edited by Patrick1964

40 minutes ago, Patrick1964 said:

Not strictly today, but over the last couple of weekends my 3.2 S has had discs and pads all round, plus a new (to me) head unit and also refurbished heater switches. The head unit is an EBay buy Pioneer SPH DA-120 CarPlay unit which is superb. 

Of all the off the shelf units that one certainly seems to not look out of place in the surround. Does seem a bit reflective though. No matte screen option?

3 hours ago, Patrick1964 said:

Not strictly today, but over the last couple of weekends my 3.2 S has had discs and pads all round, plus a new (to me) head unit and also refurbished heater switches. The head unit is an EBay buy Pioneer SPH DA-120 CarPlay unit which is superb. I’ve installed a USB / Aux extension cable in the centre console cubbyhole in place of the 12V socket so my phone can be out of harms way and no dangly white charger cables in the cabin. The 12V cabling etc is still in the car but hidden under the centre console for refitting if necessary in future. https://imgur.com/gallery/VGeWSrL

What fitting kit did you use for the head unit and did you have to alter any wiring to make it all work?

J.

4 hours ago, Patrick1964 said:

Blimey, that head unit installation looks awesome, nice one mate :thumbsup_anim:

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:06 PM, Rooose said:

Sounds like you have it worked out!

Just remember there is a strange fastener in the middle of the under tray (Metal and rubber disc with bolt type head) before you try and pull it off.

I would also recommend a spare jack to place under the coffin arm to help line everything back up when refitting.

Only other thing is a bit of muscle, torquing the chassis bolt to 170 odd nm on your back (in my case) takes some serious effort!!

All in all though, it is pretty straightforward, refitting the undertray was the biggest faff.....

Thanks for that.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:11 AM, bally4563 said:

No need to take wheel arch out and under tray although easier with it off, undo all the fasteners at the back end it will lower enough to get at the front bolt, near side easier than off side as there are pipes to wiggle around, and don't tighten it fully up until you have got the bolt back through the wishbone, and even then you may need a punch or I use an Allen key to lever it into position.

Thanks for the insight. Hoping that this will get rid of the low speed 'clatter' I get. Can't detect any play though!

On 3/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, Mattman42 said:

Washed it! Really grubby from the building work and constant crappy weather. Really needs another application of Poorboys Blackhole, but a quick wash and dry makes it look ok. The only shiny thing amongst the chaos at the moment

GDf2cZQ.jpg

I went through the same type of build last year and hated the Box being near the site...….your brave those timbers look like the slightest gust will topple them......

On 9/30/2019 at 7:14 PM, red rocket said:

Finally managed to change my front ARB bushes and drop links after various struggles last week. Took me most of the day but with helpful tips from forumites and previous threads I was able to remove the drop links and free up the ARB to get at the bushes. There was alot of corrosion around the bushes themselves - just look at the state of them:

jqKsO66.jpg

No idea whether this affects performance but they've been there for 13 years afaik so a change can't be bad. Cleaned up the ' housings' as best I could with a wire brush etc This is the first real bit of mechanical work I've ever done on a car so very satisfying. :)

Been absolutely p*ssing it down here so no chance of a test drive to check out the effect on the knocking noises that prompted the changes.  

Under those bushes is the page from the manual I have just spent the last hour or so looking for. Please could somebody post the tightening torques for the bolt for the front of the front tuning forks. The bolt from the tuning fork to control (coffin arm). And also the bolts that hold in the front anti-roll bar bushes ?

I think Mr BT is messing about in his green box up the road and I am loosing the will to live !!

I’m not replacing the coffin arms as did them a year or so ago. So don’t need to replace them. I did find a useful bit of info if any of you like me can’t find the right page in the manual which reminded me they have to be tightened with the car loaded. I think on some of the original ones they actually had arrows that you are supposed to line up before tightening. I know from experience it is REALLY nasty to drive if you don’t do this.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:12 PM, Jaybeeonline said:

What fitting kit did you use for the head unit and did you have to alter any wiring to make it all work?

I bought a kit from incartec.co.uk - there is a fitting guide to make sure you pick the correct kit. No wiring mods other than replacing the 12v socket in the armrest cubby hole with the usb extension socket

8 hours ago, mark987 said:

Thanks for the insight. Hoping that this will get rid of the low speed 'clatter' I get. Can't detect any play though!

That's the thing you wont , I've had one a part and I believe it's the nylon bush around the ball

inside that wears allowing it to float and clatter, as in up down movement and not side to side

On 3/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, Mattman42 said:

GDf2cZQ.jpg

Kempshott Lane by any chance? Think I passed the scaffolding earlier today!

I am just up the road on Gabriel Park.

34 minutes ago, Rooose said:

Kempshott Lane by any chance? Think I passed the scaffolding earlier today!

I am just up the road on Gabriel Park.

Blimey - there's no hiding! :) yes, that'll be us, causing much tutting by bus drivers as we have to park on the road during the day - wave as you go past next time! 

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Blimey - there's no hiding! :) yes, that'll be us, causing much tutting by bus drivers as we have to park on the road during the day - wave as you go past next time! 

😁 I most certainly will do!

Just now, detail1 said:

Gave the old girl a fizz over with the machine polisher and ceramic coatings.

Your definition of "giving the old girl a quick fizz over" is clearly different to mine... That looks awesome, well played that man :thumbsup_anim:  (I was going to say you missed a bit, then realised there was a spot of dirt on my laptop screen! :lol:)

22 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Your definition of "giving the old girl a quick fizz over" is clearly different to mine... That looks awesome, well played that man :thumbsup_anim:  (I was going to say you missed a bit, then realised there was a spot of dirt on my laptop screen! :lol:

Thanks, been doing it for a living for 17 years or so, compared to some of my clients cars I'd say it was a light tickle 😄

5 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Agree. I thought mine was looking good but I obviously still have work to do. 

I do go a bit overboard painting bolts that nobody will ever see etc.. ocd comes with my profession.

I'm sure yours looks great!!

• Haha 1

Well refitted the front wheels after polishing the insides as it’s not everyday that you can get to them is it. I regard to the previous posts I wouldn’t be surprised if I last cleaned the rest of it in November although it’s maybe not been used since January. So it will probably need a respray. (I did look to see where detail1 was bit a bit far to travel).

Roughly checked the tracking and as I did it before changing the tuning forks I can confirm that what somebody said about not needing to get an alignment done afterwards is a bit sniffy. 0.35 deg of negative toe. Also had an extra degree of negative camber on the near side. From what I can remember I had about 7 degrees of negative toe at the front after changing the coffin arms but each to their own.

Hopefully drive it to work tomorrow along some of Hampshire’s finest.....to let it settle down then  maybe point the wheels in the right direction.

Massive thanks to red rocket for comming back with the numbers so quickly.

Oh and I might sell the set of Cayman wheels I have on it if anyone is interested let me know as think I prefer the original crab claws can’t decide  but could be swayed.