What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

23 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

And, I'm sure that I've read that the surfactants in it are very corrosive?

I think they may be as pure ingredients/ straight out of the bottle, but they’re designed to be used for hand washing so must be pretty safe when diluted. 

2 hours ago, cozzykim said:

Had a rear O/S slow puncture repaired. 🙄

My nearside front keeps losing pressure. I've been back to Halfords twice, they've taken the tyre off the wheel twice and replaced the valve. Nothing wrong, they say. Goes way down every couple of weeks. One yr old Michelin PS4S, lots of tread. Not sure how to proceed. I've just ordered a small electronic pump but obviously not a satisfactory situation.😒

22 minutes ago, McDonald said:

My nearside front keeps losing pressure. I've been back to Halfords twice, they've taken the tyre off the wheel twice and replaced the valve. Nothing wrong, they say. Goes way down every couple of weeks. One yr old Michelin PS4S, lots of tread. Not sure how to proceed. I've just ordered a small electronic pump but obviously not a satisfactory situation.😒

The only real test is to dunk the whole wheel and tyre in a big bath of water. Some tyre places still have these. When I had the same issue on my 535D it turned out to be a cracked wheel, not the tyre. BMW are notorious for fitting runflat tyres as OEM fitment and the stiffer sidewalls transfer all the force to the wheels.

It was less than £100 to get the crack welded up and it cured the problem.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BBB said:

The only real test is to dunk the whole wheel and tyre in a big bath of water. Some tyre places still have these. When I had the same issue on my 535D it turned out to be a cracked wheel, not the tyre. BMW are notorious for fitting runflat tyres as OEM fitment and the stiffer sidewalls transfer all the force to the wheels.

It was less than £100 to get the crack welded up and it cured the problem.

^This^. Corrosion on the inner face of the wheel affecting the seal with the tyre was a cause of this on another car for me. Cleaned up the affected area and all fixed.

36 minutes ago, McDonald said:

If you can take the wheel off, lay it flat and pour soapy water around the rim and valve, if there is a leak, it will bubble.

Had a similar issue on the X6, and getting the tyre refitted solved the issue

You can also get a porous alloy wheel which will leak air, not very common but does happen.

Rim leak as mentioned above can be a issue but normally more common on older cars normally Japanese.

My money is still on the valve or the valve core not being tightened enough.

I always end up tightening the valve cores on mine after they have been for a refurbishment, there is a thin line between over tightening them and not tightening them enough but worth checking 👍

• Like 1

Another cause of a slow flat is not  cleaning the rim where the bead of the tyre sits. Get the tyre place to dismount the tyre and clean up that area of any old rubber residue and general gunk. Last resort is to get them to daub some gunky ' bead snot' on the rim before inflating the tyre.

* Obvs 'bead snot' isn't the correct terminology, but you get the idea! :)

• Haha 1

Just had 4 Michelin PS4S tyres fitted as the original Pirelli P Zero’s were 8 years old and had gone hard. Be interesting to see how these perform, initial thoughts are they seem to have less tyre noise.

The car gets only occasional use so may be nearer to springtime when i can compare fully. Hopefully the dreaded Ackerman effect will improve/go away.

• Like 1

Cleaned and sealed the roof even though it lives in the garage all the time.  As far as I can tell I suspect it’s always lived in a garage so probably didn’t need treatment but can’t do any harm.  Used the Protex kit which I’ve used before a few times on previous cars and seems good.

On 12/18/2023 at 5:32 PM, Green Genie said:

Just had 4 Michelin PS4S tyres fitted as the original Pirelli P Zero’s were 8 years old and had gone hard. Be interesting to see how these perform, initial thoughts are they seem to have less tyre noise.

The car gets only occasional use so may be nearer to springtime when i can compare fully. Hopefully the dreaded Ackerman effect will improve/go away.

Be prepared for a significant improvement!

Pirelli to PS4S - much better. 
8 years old to brand new - much better. 
Together, you are in for an eye opener. 
IME your Ackerman will be gone for a couple of years. Mine seems to be returning presumably as tyres age.