What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

11 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

It’s just a shame that they use Cheese for the majority of components!!

Good point, well made. Remember it is 'Porsche Desig'n, not 'Porsche Material Selection'

40 minutes ago, philw696 said:

Four new Vredstein Ultra Vorti design by Giugiaro tyres on to mine for this Summers upcoming roadtrip adventures here in France.

First set of tyres in my 4 years of ownership.

You’re in france and you didn’t fit Michelin! Sacré bleu!

• Haha 2

Yesterday. Established that my screen wash leak is from the pump body; new one ordered. Also established that the wheel bolts are tired, with the collars beginning to break up.

I suppose if I’m going to fork out for a fresh set it would be sensible to consider longer ones and spacers - is there a consensus on spacer size for a 987.2S with the standard 18” rims?

I run 5mm spacers all round as that's what Porsche use on their limited edition models.

I bought from https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-wheel-spacers

I've just changed over to wheel studs, so have a full set of OEM longer bolts in black available. Carriage would cost due to their weight - I'm in Bracknell if it helps you any ?

14 hours ago, IroningMan said:

is there a consensus on spacer size for a 987.2S with the standard 18” rims?

7mm front / 15mm rear is generally considered as spot on

I went for this set (they do a cheaper non locking version too)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324256198088

• Like 1

I will warn you to ensure you get ball seats on your bolts - a lot of the ebay stuff are not as round and are suited for aftermarket wheels not Porsche OEM.

I also found that they can be a smaller diameter and doesn't sit as well against the wheel.

• Like 1

Managed to get around to replacing the pad wear sensors that melted when I last did a trackday. Fortunately they're rather cheap and my local GSF had them in stock for less than a quid! 

Also adjusted the handbrake whilst I was at it. Its never been very good ever since I got the car a couple if months ago, but never managed to get around to it. Actually surpised it passed the MOT last month with it being so loose. 

image.thumb.png.e40df93ef149f0f94e94b5fa296eadbe.png

I had a very expensive rattle that was getting worse,I could locate it,thought it might have been the timing chains slapping around-got the car up in the air today,fired it up,it was a loose Bolt on the exhaust support thingy😂😂😂-im a happy man today!!

thank fek for that!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, And.rs1800 said:

I had a very expensive rattle that was getting worse,I could locate it,thought it might have been the timing chains slapping around-got the car up in the air today,fired it up,it was a loose Bolt on the exhaust support thingy😂😂😂-im a happy man today!!

thank fek for that!

Sorry I typed the above post without my glasses on!-it should have said an expensive sounding rattle that I couldn’t locate 🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, Patt said:

I run 5mm spacers all round as that's what Porsche use on their limited edition models.

I bought from https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-wheel-spacers

I've just changed over to wheel studs, so have a full set of OEM longer bolts in black available. Carriage would cost due to their weight - I'm in Bracknell if it helps you any ?

Thanks and that’s very kind - I think I’m going to stick with silver bolts, though.

5mm makes sense, and I did spot the OEM ones: also quite like the DesignTek ones with the three prongs. 

Cheeky run out into Cheshire minor roads , some nice straights , top out in third and then blind bends , Klepton magnets kick in and then bosh out , giving it beans!!! Most enjoyable!

On 4/29/2023 at 9:14 PM, bally4563 said:

Cheeky run out into Cheshire minor roads , some nice straights , top out in third and then blind bends , Klepton magnets kick in and then bosh out , giving it beans!!! Most enjoyable!

Is a new language developing in the north west?

Replaced all the coil packs.

Originals look like new, despite being nearly 13 years old and with 99k miles.  on them.  Having seen the cracked and corroded ones being pulled out of 986’s it looks like the 987.2 design improved the heat and weather protection.

nsSGHmK.jpg

t5AnS5d.jpgkK3Yf0Y.jpg6jgtbU1.jpg

1 hour ago, gillbe said:

Replaced all the coil packs.

Originals look like new, despite being nearly 13 years old and with 99k miles.  on them.  Having seen the cracked and corroded ones being pulled out of 986’s it looks like the 987.2 design improved the heat and weather protection.

nsSGHmK.jpg

t5AnS5d.jpgkK3Yf0Y.jpg6jgtbU1.jpg

Blimey , they did well.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:32 PM, Chris D said:

Cut, polish and ceramic spray. 

Bumper off. Replaced the leaking headlamp washer jets. Replaced home lights with LEDs. Bumper back on. Tested. Bloody hose has come off. Guess what. Bumper coming back off. Meh! 

Bumper back off today. 30 mins job now. It's the one million screws that takes the time lol. 

So. School day today. On the hose connections there's a little clip. Pushing it fully home releases the hose. It doesn't secure it. Doh!! Suffice to say, they're secure now. Back on and tested before fitting the millions screws again. All good. 

Whilst it was up on stands I cleaned up the rust on the lower arches too. 

Final job of the day. Fabsil gold coating on the roof. 

• Like 1

Brakes disks and pads changed and when putting on the offside wheel I noticed a letter marked on the disk surface...it said "L" - I checked the box and that had a small L next to the part number. Yes, they are handed and I'd forgotten so sods law has it that with a 50/50 chance I would get it wrong and I did. At least disassembly was fast and easy the 2nd time around apart from the wear sensors that came from Mintex and seem to be made from pastry - both sides crumbled on removal but luckily the originals where fine so they went back on. Before anybody says "having the internal vanes pointing the wrong way wont be an issue with road driving..." it is to me!

Keith

1 hour ago, huytonman said:

Brakes disks and pads changed and when putting on the offside wheel I noticed a letter marked on the disk surface...it said "L" - I checked the box and that had a small L next to the part number. Yes, they are handed and I'd forgotten so sods law has it that with a 50/50 chance I would get it wrong and I did. At least disassembly was fast and easy the 2nd time around apart from the wear sensors that came from Mintex and seem to be made from pastry - both sides crumbled on removal but luckily the originals where fine so they went back on. Before anybody says "having the internal vanes pointing the wrong way wont be an issue with road driving..." it is to me!

Keith

Ah, but is it left looking from the front of the car or rear…? 🤔 

• Haha 1

Blast out into the back end of the Peaks into the Staffs moorlands with the bride in quite inclement weather, she kepted pointing out the speed limit signs, I told her they are there for the minimum!!!!!