What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Just now, Menoporsche said:

OK you're another one that can bugger off, too.

Have it on both cars too....

Only thing missing, my Boxster is manual and the gear knob is cold by comparison.

MOT gained for another year - edit this was on the 8/1 first but forgot to post - no advisories - front brake disks are getting a little rusty on the inners - lasted pretty well - 4 years 20k miles - if used more often I suspect they would last longer...

19 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

What have I done to my 987 today?....

53451452951_d1981693a3_o_d.jpg

how do you switch such a thing - some things are obviously added but how does one locate or know if it has a heated steering wheel?

8 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

how do you switch such a thing - some things are obviously added but how does one locate or know if it has a heated steering wheel?

If you have it, the button is on the back of the steering wheel right at the bottom of the 6pm spoke

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

If you have it, the button is on the back of the steering wheel right at the bottom of the 6pm spoke

is there an option code that is copied in the handbook ? I'm thinking there could be a few that people just dont know its there... its not like a cruise stalk or another dash button.... 

was it part of a group of things typically - similar to a 'winter pack' ?

wife's Freelander has it and it is nice on a cold and wet day to take the chill off!

Just now, Dubdubz said:

is there an option code that is copied in the handbook ? I'm thinking there could be a few that people just dont know its there... its not like a cruise stalk or another dash button.... 

was it part of a group of things typically - similar to a 'winter pack' ?

wife's Freelander has it and it is nice on a cold and wet day to take the chill off!

nope its an option to select on the build when new

Two new front springs fitted. £270 incl vat from Porsche and £260 at local garage to fit. Again, like the clutch flywheel had to get parts from Porsche. Don't seem to be able to get some parts for the 2.9 from other sources.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

nope its an option to select on the build when new

so a quick autotrader glance at pics might not reveal the heated steering wheel is optioned? and there is a possibility that an owner might not know as its hidden? Or do we have stats that there are only 4 in the uk with this option ticked? 🤣

7 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

so a quick autotrader glance at pics might not reveal the heated steering wheel is optioned? and there is a possibility that an owner might not know as its hidden? Or do we have stats that there are only 4 in the uk with this option ticked? 🤣

Nope, you will not see it in pics as the button is hidden on the bottom of the steering at the back.
Only way to know would be to obviously feel for the button. It is option code 345 on the list on mine. I would not think its a very common option but definitely not the rarest one (although I think I have that one covered too)

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-boxster-2009-options-codes/

Edited by Bike Loon

I’m not sure I remember anyone saying they have it before Bike Loon bought his Kitchen Sink Edition, that’s over 10 years. Possibly one or two but it wasn’t really discussed (watch Araf prove me wrong). So as you say, either rarely ordered or used buyers didn’t even know they had it. 

Could try a forum search for 345, see what comes up. 

I am really hoping that from this post, we get at least 1 987 owner who has a fiddle on the back of their steering wheel and discovers they have the magic hand warming button that they did not know they had

• Like 2

It can be coded with piwis to automatically come on when heated seats are activated.

Its relatively easy (not necessarily cheap) to retro fit, you need the wheel (obviously) a new clock spring and potentially a steering column switch control module (depending on model year) plus some piwis coding.

I have been on the lookout for a suitable wheel ( at the right price ) for a while, but by the time I add in getting it retrimmed to match interior colour it's an expensive "nice to have"

25 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

I am really hoping that from this post, we get at least 1 987 owner who has a fiddle on the back of their steering wheel and discovers they have the magic hand warming button that they did not know they had

To take the heat off you, as it were? ;) 

Maybe look to colder countries for a donor steering wheel where it may be standard or considered more often as an option to specify.  Nearly every hire car I had in Norway and Sweden (sample of 19 vehicles over 2018/19) had it fitted.

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Maybe look to colder countries for a donor steering wheel where it may be standard or considered more often as an option to specify.  Nearly every hire car I had in Norway and Sweden (sample of 19 vehicles over 2018/19) had it fitted.

They will be left hand drive wheels though ;)

I'm here all week

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

i was going to have a fiddle this morning but i forgot! would have been very useful today. will check when i get the car back on friday, fingers crossed...