What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Two new front tyres - really annoyed me to have to do this as they had 5mm of tread but one had got a worryingly large lump on the sidewall, probably from one of the moon craters on our lovely roads.

However, was pleasantly surprised to only have to pay £260 fitted (Black Circles) - pretty sure I paid that much for my Skoda tyres a couple of years ago...

4 minutes ago, phazed said:

Surely that price was not for pilot sports?

No, Yokohamas (GreenEarth or some such stupid name) - Michelins were an extra £100 and I 'aint paying that. Probably just me but I've never noticed the difference between tyres - I just go for a known brand at a mid-range price.

27 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Two new front tyres - really annoyed me to have to do this as they had 5mm of tread but one had got a worryingly large lump on the sidewall, probably from one of the moon craters on our lovely roads.

However, was pleasantly surprised to only have to pay £260 fitted (Black Circles) - pretty sure I paid that much for my Skoda tyres a couple of years ago...

I'm going to have to replace two aged Bridgestone rears soon. Loads of meat but signs of cracking.
Replaced the fronts last year and swapped out for MPS4s so it'll please my OCD to even out the brands, but displease my bank account at nearly £700.

8 minutes ago, eob said:

I'm going to have to replace two aged Bridgestone rears soon. Loads of meat but signs of cracking.
Replaced the fronts last year and swapped out for MPS4s so it'll please my OCD to even out the brands, but displease my bank account at nearly £700.

£700? Black Circles have them for £220 each....?

• Thanks 1

Watch for the date stamps, I think it was BlackCircles have a habit of sending out tyres a year and a half old, up to two years is apparently legal as "new".

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, eob said:

265/35R19 are £300 each

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4-s/265/35/R19/Y/98/m?tyre=35790897

Which is still better than when I was looking last year and with 10% off thats £530 delivered.

Ah yeah, sorry, I just assumed 18" - mine are 19" as well...

• Like 1

I would only fit the Michelin. They are proven and I’m a firm believer of you get what you pay for.
Of course, if you are just tootling around then fine, but that extra few feet in stopping power or extra few degrees achievable in a corner might be the difference between staying safe and not.

Out of interest, I did an extremely wet track day on Keevil Airfield last year in my front wheel drive vRS with full traction in, with limited slip differential and 250 BHP in a light stripped out car. I was running Toyo R888’s which definitely are not a wet tyre.. the car was sliding all over the place and grip on acceleration was marginal I was lapped several times during the day by a box standard MK7 Golf GTI. I found the guy in the pits and wanted to know his secret. He said that he was just running a set of nearly new Michelin Pilot Sports. It ran like it was on rails in absolutely pouring rain and standing water.

I haven’t as yet done a wet Track day in the boxter, luckily all days have been dry and I have been running track tyres but if I have to, I am secure the knowledge that the pilot sports will do their job.

• Like 2

I looked through several tyre tests and noted scores for dry grip, wet grip (I'm looking outside at the Atlantic Ocean, it tends to pee down Oct-April), longevity; made my choice accordingly.

I hear on here that tyres can also change their grip characteristics as they age (/wear?), and I guess the tests don't take that into account. I have to bear that in mind. But it hurt me to throw away MPS with 4-5mm still left, as they were approaching 10 years old. Funnily enough the new Goodyears had a lot better grip! If they get worse I won't be so upset to bin them as they were about 250 quid cheaper.

Load of tread left on my winters, but the grip has gone as they are too old.

I'm off to see what the local tyre shop (ALS) can offer after work today.

2 hours ago, phazed said:

I’m a firm believer of you get what you pay for

I mostly agree with you (with the exception of GoPro's - overpriced, over-rated) but for all but a dedicated few (not me), the difference between a Michelin and any other major brand will be unnoticeable IMO. Sure, I wouldn't get a cheap chinese make but your Bridgestone's, Yoko's, Dunlop, Pirelli etc are all fine.

Some might say that if you need to rely on your tyres only to keep you out of a ditch, then you're doing it wrong 😉 

38 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Some might say that if you need to rely on your tyres only to keep you out of a ditch, then you're doing it wrong 😉 

Well that’s certainly a riposte to the usual “only things keeping you on the road” 👍

6 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Well that’s certainly a riposte to the usual “only things keeping you on the road” 👍

Exactly - I did a track handling day in my kit car once and we were practicing a high speed turn. I was consistently going 5mph slower than others because, I was told, I had some cr*p tyres (Toyo TR1s or something like that) so, rather than insist on trying to go the same speed as everyone else, I just went slower and I stayed out of that ditch. 🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nelmo said:

No, Yokohamas (GreenEarth or some such stupid name) -...

Those are Yokohama's regular range not sports range, which goes along way with explaining the better pricing.  The Advan range might have been a better option, but they are round and black and new and will keep you out of a ditch particularly if you are not an 'on the limit' driver.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Those are Yokohama's regular range not sports range, which goes along way with explaining the better pricing.  The Advan range might have been a better option, but they are round and black and new and will keep you out of a ditch particularly if you are not an 'on the limit' driver.

Darn, you're right, I didn't read the description, just went off the ratings and the W speed rating they both have. They're actually only being fitted tomorrow - the Advans are only £10 more...I'll see if I can change to those....

3 hours ago, nelmo said:

Darn, you're right, I didn't read the description, just went off the ratings and the W speed rating they both have. They're actually only being fitted tomorrow - the Advans are only £10 more...I'll see if I can change to those....

I would if I were you!

16 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Interesting, when you look at the search results @eob posted, the Toyo Proxies have exactly the ratings at the MPS4S but at less than half the price 😬  

Anyone tried the Toyos on a boxster?

HfCr15Y.jpeg

I have the Toyos in 18” on my Audi A5 (Front wheel drive)  They are quiet, good grip but I just find them a little soft. Hard to explain but they just feel soft at the side wall and seem to flex more than the Michelins I have before did, but they seem to have settled after 500 miles. 

Edited by Drrncour
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slomofo said:

Took delivery of the new (to me) Weekend entertainment, drove it, filled it with Shell 99, drove it some more, figured out how the stereo works, drove it again and got it dirty.  I’m a happy man…IMG_2024-02-10-174634.thumb.jpeg.bb5481ec208b229e0e9ddb9311b003f3.jpeg

Congrats and welcome! Just in time to enjoy spring and summer

• Thanks 1

Changed the brake fluid as the pedal was starting to get a bit soft. Firmer pedal now and would have been only a 10 minute job (with a helper in the car) had I not dropped the reservoir cap down the side of the reservoir and under the myriad of plastic covers 😅

Carefully positioned wheels meant I didn't need to jack up the car and had enough room to open and close the bleed nipple through the spokes, easy peasy!

19 minutes ago, Crudeoink said:

Changed the brake fluid as the pedal was starting to get a bit soft. Firmer pedal now and would have been only a 10 minute job (with a helper in the car) had I not dropped the reservoir cap down the side of the reservoir and under the myriad of plastic covers 😅

Carefully positioned wheels meant I didn't need to jack up the car and had enough room to open and close the bleed nipple through the spokes, easy peasy!

Even the nipples on the inside of the calipers?  Pays to work these from time to time whether bleeding or not as they are known to seize if left too long.