What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

my 2.9 used to impress me with consumption figures on decent runs - even in commuting traffic it gave better mpg than my old toyota did.

the current 3.4 - less so - have to try really hard to see more than 35mpg and thats on long motorway runs at constant speed.

35mpg really isnt bad for a 3.4L engine. Our other car is an i30N and it does about 35mpg on a run despite being a 2L 4 pot and about 10 years newer !

On 1/25/2024 at 5:10 PM, Ti Rich said:

New Steering wheel from Royal Steering Wheels, very happy with the result!

IMG-2387.jpg

Your photo convinced me, confirmed my order 1h. ago.

• Like 2

Had 2 window motors fitted at Cotswold Porsche and a fab run home in the sunshine along the Fosse Way - not another pork in sight on the way home, which is unusual as the Cotswolds is usually full of them.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:41 PM, Crudeoink said:

35mpg really isnt bad for a 3.4L engine. Our other car is an i30N and it does about 35mpg on a run despite being a 2L 4 pot and about 10 years newer !

For sure.  It’s good.  But it’s not remarkable like the 2.9. All the rhetoric of “right foot and the “music” of the engine” and the “buy a diesel if you care about mpg” aside that engine turns in some impressive real world numbers. 

Oh and for reference.  V12 Jag.  5.3 litres.  3.5 miles. Up hill. Standing start. Crested the hill at 135 on the clock (“private test track”).  I gallon used.  

So yeah. Talk to me about “fuel consumption”. 

13 mpg on a commute to London, where the 2.9 got 36. 

Interesting referencing the Jaguar as I've had a few over the years and currently use along with my other cars a 96 X300 4.0 sovereign it's a quality built car like our 987's and a keeper for me too.

Suits the French roads as well and as I don't care about MPG although it's surprisingly good compared to other models.

We are a interesting bunch on here.

Planning on using the trombone cleaner on the rear drains for the first time tomorrow - previously it’s been a wire coat hanger, but thought I should upgrade! 

quick question for those that use them  - on the rear drains, when the end comes out the bottom, do you pull it through from under the car, or pull it back up? Seen posts that suggest both, but pulling back up ‘could’ damage the pipe?

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Planning on using the trombone cleaner on the rear drains for the first time tomorrow - previously it’s been a wire coat hanger, but thought I should upgrade! 

quick question for those that use them  - on the rear drains, when the end comes out the bottom, do you pull it through from under the car, or pull it back up? Seen posts that suggest both, but pulling back up ‘could’ damage the pipe?

I've always pulled back up. No damage to report.

• Like 2

I used to pull the trombone cleaner back up on my 987's.

Another tip someone shared with me, not only check the drains run clear after with water but also use a plastic measuring jug to check that the same amount comes out as goes in... plastic containers under the drain exits to catch what comes out.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Mine got stuck pulling it back once.  That was in the clamshell groove drains.  They have a little rubber nipple on the end (not a valve like the later cars) 

Since then I have been pushing through when I have the wheels off and the arch liners removed.  

• Like 1

Be careful not to damage the drainage pipes, met someone yesturday who ended up spending £1000 to remove the interior chasing a leak and it turned out to be a split in the drain pipe presumably caused by a previous owner “cleaning” it !

Had a very "raucous" drive home, the long way round, PSE, SPORT and  manual mode on the gearbox,  unnecessary behaviour and more revs than necessary.

satisfying.....

• Like 1

Just now, Paul P said:

Had a very "raucous" drive home, the long way round, PSE, SPORT and  manual mode on the gearbox,  unnecessary behaviour and more revs than necessary.

satisfying.....

Roof down ? 

On 2/2/2024 at 10:46 PM, Paul P said:

For sure.  It’s good.  But it’s not remarkable like the 2.9. All the rhetoric of “right foot and the “music” of the engine” and the “buy a diesel if you care about mpg” aside that engine turns in some impressive real world numbers. 

Oh and for reference.  V12 Jag.  5.3 litres.  3.5 miles. Up hill. Standing start. Crested the hill at 135 on the clock (“private test track”).  I gallon used.  

So yeah. Talk to me about “fuel consumption”. 

13 mpg on a commute to London, where the 2.9 got 36. 

Wow that does seem low. Worst i've seen on my 3.4 is about 22mpg on the road but I dont live near / commute into London. A normal journey see's mid to high 20's generally 

2 hours ago, Crudeoink said:

Wow that does seem low. Worst i've seen on my 3.4 is about 22mpg on the road but I dont live near / commute into London. A normal journey see's mid to high 20's generally 

Sorry.  Think I lost context in the middle there.  The 13 mpg was the jag.  Not the 3.4.  That gets around 28 if I commute in it.  

the jag was comical in its thirst.  But I didn’t care for the use case I had for it.  

Just now, Paul P said:

Sorry.  Think I lost context in the middle there.  The 13 mpg was the jag.  Not the 3.4.  That gets around 28 if I commute in it.  

the jag was comical in its thirst.  But I didn’t care for the use case I had for it.  

Ahh my bad! I can imagine the Jag was thirsty. I bought an X308 XJR when I was 21 (was cheaper to insure than my 1.4L polo at the time), but it was doing about 15mpg lol, absolutely LOVED that car!