What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

28 minutes ago, 718as said:

did u notice any change on performance or sound with the K&Ns?

You get a bit more induction noise, I've got BMC which are similar.

Performance?🧐 depends which way the wind is blowing 😃.

Induction noise/roar on WOT very enjoyable and a wee fart as you change gear if in the sports modes.  If definitely enhances the oral experience.

Performance, I guess the dyno would show a couple of extra ponies - but it was for the noise I did it....oh and the fact I managed to purchase for the same cost as standard OEM paper filters.😉

One thing I did notice when cleaning was that the green seals between the filter housing and car are greased to ensure a good seal  - thus I cleaned off the old and reapplied new - Never seen this mentioned on any of the YouTube videos that cover. It also made refitting so much easier as they slid in and popped tight to the final resting.

I also took some fine wire wool to the PSE actuators and cleaned off all salt/tar/grit and grime - then used some silverslip to lube all moving parts.  Preventive maintenance but I needed to do something while the filters were drying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Induction noise/roar on WOT very enjoyable and a wee fart as you change gear if in the sports modes.  If definitely enhances the oral experience.

Performance, I guess the dyno would show a couple of extra ponies - but it was for the noise I did it....oh and the fact I managed to purchase for the same cost as standard OEM paper filters.😉

One thing I did notice when cleaning was that the green seals between the filter housing and car are greased to ensure a good seal  - thus I cleaned off the old and reapplied new - Never seen this mentioned on any of the YouTube videos that cover. It also made refitting so much easier as they slid in and popped tight to the final resting.

I also took some fine wire wool to the PSE actuators and cleaned off all salt/tar/grit and grime - then used some silverslip to lube all moving parts.  Preventive maintenance but I needed to do something while the filters were drying.

hope you mean aural experience unless your maybe popular with the ladies .....

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, mneil said:

You get a bit more induction noise, I've got BMC which are similar.

Performance?🧐 depends which way the wind is blowing 😃.

I have BMC and also noticed the added induction noise with what may well be placebo, but the pick up did feel slightly crisper..

swapped out the standard black chrono clock dial for a lovely red one to match the paintwork and seatbelts.   unfortunatley the rev counter i also received was damaged in the post so having a new one made up,  which will take about 3weeks.    wouldnt say it was a nice job, quite fiddly but straight forward i just need more paitence.   

21 hours ago, robporsche said:

swapped out the standard black chrono clock dial for a lovely red one to match the paintwork and seatbelts.   unfortunatley the rev counter i also received was damaged in the post so having a new one made up,  which will take about 3weeks.    wouldnt say it was a nice job, quite fiddly but straight forward i just need more paitence.   

Being done by who, please?

32 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Being done by who, please?

By little old me... Chrono wasn't too bad, but I had to watch several videos and there isn't one which shows completely how to do it.  Now I know what's what it won't take less 1hour to do. I'm not very delicate with tweezers, that's the most nerve racking...  And the vents are pain to get out you need them out to access the screws for the chrono

Not sure if these photos will work, but I'm liking it. Will update when I get the rev counter done but that might take another couple of weeks to come.

20210417-141126.jpg

[url=https://postimg.cc/crrXSzmN][img]https://i.postimg.cc/crrXSzmN/20210417-150216.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by robporsche
  • Thanks 1

Still haven’t used the Boxster in a meaningful way, but got a trip to Center Gravity in a couple of weeks and a NC500 trip in June to look forward to. Meanwhile minor fettling carries on, today the wheels were decontaminated, washed, degreased and Gtechnic C5 applied. Carrera Classics, fiddly.

13 hours ago, mja986 said:

Still haven’t used the Boxster in a meaningful way, but got a trip to Center Gravity in a couple of weeks and a NC500 trip in June to look forward to. Meanwhile minor fettling carries on, today the wheels were decontaminated, washed, degreased and Gtechnic C5 applied. Carrera Classics, fiddly.

Will be great to hear how the C5 holds up

17 hours ago, robporsche said:

By little old me... Chrono wasn't too bad, but I had to watch several videos and there isn't one which shows completely how to do it.  Now I know what's what it won't take less 1hour to do. I'm not very delicate with tweezers, that's the most nerve racking...  And the vents are pain to get out you need them out to access the screws for the chrono

Not sure if these photos will work, but I'm liking it. Will update when I get the rev counter done but that might take another couple of weeks to come.

You say "to come", does that imply you order the acetate precut-printed then install it yourself?

I see you have an orange hand on a red background, that was also something I thought needed addressing if ever I do mine.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

You say "to come", does that imply you order the acetate precut-printed then install it yourself?

I see you have an orange hand on a red background, that was also something I thought needed addressing if ever I do mine.

yeah company in Germany,   got to say so far they have been an absolute nightmare to deal with,  rev gauge came damaged and i've spent over 2 weeks chasing them for another, they then told me to cut it up and send them pictures before they would send another out, even though ive sent pictures of it, the wait is going to be about 3 weeks as they are hand made (not sure if that's true)

the orange hand,  i just assumed that they were all orange and weren't different if the clock face was a different colour.  

6 hours ago, robporsche said:

yeah company in Germany,   got to say so far they have been an absolute nightmare to deal with,  rev gauge came damaged and i've spent over 2 weeks chasing them for another, they then told me to cut it up and send them pictures before they would send another out, even though ive sent pictures of it, the wait is going to be about 3 weeks as they are hand made (not sure if that's true)

the orange hand,  i just assumed that they were all orange and weren't different if the clock face was a different colour.  

Hmm.  I guess I know the one.  I found another in North London.  Wondered about it but I think it was geraintthomas who said it wasn't so easy on the 987 (I want a rev counter) and also I want orange, for which an orange needle against an orange background wouldn't be so visible!

On 4/19/2021 at 8:40 PM, Menoporsche said:

Hmm.  I guess I know the one.  I found another in North London.  Wondered about it but I think it was geraintthomas who said it wasn't so easy on the 987 (I want a rev counter) and also I want orange, for which an orange needle against an orange background wouldn't be so visible!

found this on youtube,  looks pretty straightforward,  easier than the 981,   as long as you have patience and a good eye for fiddly things i think you should be fine.

chrono removal 987

• Like 1

Just got my summer 20s back from being refurbed and was about to change them when I realised my jack doesn't quite fit under with the slightly smaller winters on, so bought a lower profile jack, got halfway through swapping the wheels over and the locking wheel nut thing has broken! Aaaagh.

I'm going to have to buy a new one, then I'm going to replace the things with normal bolts.

And why are the wheels torqued all the way to 160Nm? Seems a bit excessive to me.

51 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

Just got my summer 20s back from being refurbed and was about to change them when I realised my jack doesn't quite fit under with the slightly smaller winters on, so bought a lower profile jack, got halfway through swapping the wheels over and the locking wheel nut thing has broken! Aaaagh.

I'm going to have to buy a new one, then I'm going to replace the things with normal bolts.

And why are the wheels torqued all the way to 160Nm? Seems a bit excessive to me.

Those Porsche locking nuts are rubbish. Had to replace mine, luckily not expensive. Ditching them, that’s and interesting thought

1 hour ago, Rob™ said:

then I'm going to replace the things with normal bolts

Depending on which rims you have you might want to think carefully about ditching the lockers... Just found out mine are £1826 a wheel from Porsche (price for a front, no idea if rear is more) 

99104460224lr.jpg