What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

16 hours ago, Rob™ said:

It was a V8 Vantage... I'd always promised myself an Aston when I was younger but had been put off by the costs involved - I used to have a fairly high annual mileage and the thought of spending all that money just on fuel to go to work put me off. Now, the work can be done from home and I'm expecting infrequent trips into the office so I thought why not...? It didn't help that a neighbour has gone and bought a DB11 Volante! Beautiful! 

Anyway, the Vantage is a great looking car, and they sound utterly awesome and if someone were to give me one I'd happily accept, but the Boxster just felt like a better all round car. Perhaps because mine is a bit newer, and I' m used to it, and all that, maybe if I was going from the 987. then I dunno... the 981 just felt a better place to be. And with the added bonus of being a cabriolet and I think I'd miss that. 

The reviews back me up too - the Porsche get the better driving reviews whereas the Aston gets the exclusivity.

I've fancied an Aston ever since I was a boy. Had the chance to buy a DB5 but I was out of work at the time. I could have taken the leap & left myself potless. In the event, I did the sensible thing (!*?!) and hung on to my 260Z. I got work a month later & the car had gone.

Over the years I've become hooked on convertibles. I don't think I'd ever be completely happy with a tin top.

But an Aston... 

I had a go in the v8v n400 cab and came away disappointed and confused.

i didn't get very long with it and to be fair it was on a twisty section of a road up the hill so not it's natural habitat but I thought it was pretty poor as a driver's car, difficult to position, too big, felt like I was steering a boat, gear ratios all wrong and worst of all I could barely hear it sing.

Such a shame because it really looked the part.

They are beautiful cars Astons, but a tough comparison to a 981, too heavy for a start, perhaps a more even comparison would be a 911 cab. A good friend who has had a 996 turbo and 986 S now has DB9 cab and loves it, but totally different to the Porsches.

17 minutes ago, mja986 said:

totally different to the Porsches.

Undeniably true. If you dream of the track, you should buy a racing car. If you dream of touring, an Aston surely meets your expectations? 

1 minute ago, McDonald said:

Undeniably true. If you dream of the track, you should buy a racing car. If you dream of touring, an Aston surely meets your expectations? 

With this guy that is spot on it more than met his expectations, it can be hustled when needed, pedigree comes through in how it handles its weight and size, for a GT/Tourer that is.

Actually, I think the Box would be a better on a tour than the V8 Vantage too, certainly my 987 was great for a run down through France. Maybe the DBs would be a different kettle of fish completely... I just didn't feel "it" in this particular car.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:01 AM, Rob™ said:

Test drove an Aston over the weekend, then drove home with the top down on the Boxster... I'm keeping the Boxster 😊

Interesting to read on the Vantage, a model which has crossed my line of enquiry multiple times over the years.

I had a long test drive of a brand new (and well specced) Cayman S on Monday, will do a write up of my impressions in case it's of interest to anyone considering an upgrade/downgrade/sidegrade (delete as appropriate)

Found one of these in the frunk, new and unopened, so carefully followed the instructions for dispensing the correct amount.... and ended up cutting the top section off with a hacksaw, because I couldn't get any of the screenwash out :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

Also, washed my car for the 2nd time since I bought it, and after inspecting the bodywork and wheels I can confirm it is in stunning condition.  Hopefully I will be able to keep it that way for years to come :thumbsup_anim:

3 minutes ago, mja986 said:

Ha, those screenwash bottles are awkward, but I think the technique is to hold it upright while squeezing the liquid into the top chamber and then pouring in the usual way?

Yeah, I tried that, but nothing I did would make the liquid move into the little reservoir bit. Another one of life's mysteries I guess.... :lol:

12 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Yeah, I tried that, but nothing I did would make the liquid move into the little reservoir bit. Another one of life's mysteries I guess.... :lol:

You have to loosen or remove the lid before squeezing liquid into the reservoir...

I was given five or six of these little bottles with my car. I'm glad I read these posts, I now understand how to (try) to use the stuff. I also got several bottles of oil, although the car doesn't seem to use any (I've done 2,500 miles).

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

You have to loosen or remove the lid before squeezing liquid into the reservoir...

Yes, I tried that, and it didn't work.  I reckon the bottle must have been faulty, it couldn't possibly be my fault... 

Who knew Porsche ownership would be so complicated :lol:

• Like 2

Although not done many miles since they were fitted, I decided to clean out my K&N filters.

Took me some time to wrestle the boot liner and plastics out, but the rest was plain sailing:

51116588267_bde32ebe9d_b.jpg

Filters were, as expected,  quite clean however the inlets had numerous leaves and stones inside that were removed with the Dyson.

51116589502_4e88f883d2_b.jpg

Just waiting for the sun to fully dry them before re-charging and putting everything back together.

No comments on the state of drive - it's getting replaced in a couple of weeks ☺️