What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Bought it off them, then had the car serviced by them later, but I wont be using them again for servicing to be honest. I had a bit of an issue with the drain pipes, which considering they serviced the car a couple of months before and less than 1000 miles before, I would have expected to have had them checked in what was a very comprehensive service. They didn't and claimed that they were unaware that the drain pipe issues affected 981s as well as 987s. I was somewhat disappointed. Cars now due another service in the next 2 months, so if anyone knows someone good local to the Bedford/MK area, then please let me know

the 981's drain pipes are yet to hit a lot of the indi's.  Also they are no where near as easy to check as you need to remove the side skirts and intakes to get to them.

I was the first for Eporsch, and had to show them the way too. SO I feel your frustration, but don't be too hard as OPC never check them either !

1 hour ago, Pebisit said:

They didn't and claimed that they were unaware that the drain pipe issues affected 981s as well as 987s. 

Wow - that really is quite a statement by a so called Porsche expert centre.  The drains on Boxsters have always been sensitive to blocking by design and for sure should be cleaned out (or at least I would expect them to be).

That's me not going there then & glad I asked!

37 minutes ago, Patt said:

the 981's drain pipes are yet to hit a lot of the indi's.  Also they are no where near as easy to check as you need to remove the side skirts and intakes to get to them.

I was the first for Eporsch, and had to show them the way too. SO I feel your frustration, but don't be too hard as OPC never check them either !

I had a technician @ OPC Silverstone show me how he had checked them during my service a few years back.  A brand new car can have the issue if some crud has gotten in.

I have used Dove House with no issues for the last 2 years but to be fair for my 986.  I did use DW Performance in Wellingborough for one service before that, good an knowledgeable but the ownership has changed, reportedly for the worse, but even before there seemed to be more of a focus on air cooled 911s and owners with deep pockets. 

I have used Silverstone Porsche OPC at Towcester for a new key fob and pairing which I found them to be very professional, also their parts department has been really good too.  An OPC is too expensive for my 986 budget, but for a newer car may be the best, if not cheapest, option.

Edited by ½cwt

Swapped out my 25w Xenon bulbs for the 35w ones as per Daz's video.

Pretty straightforward job to do reasonable improvement. Just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the main beams now.

Still miss one of my old rally cars (Ex works Ford RS1600i). That had 6 spotlights with 150w halogens, dipped and mains wired to come on together, so another 4 lights all with 100w bulbs. Massively lacking nowadays with the arrays of LED lights, but still pretty good. I have to say, my peepers were a lot better in the dark in those days mind you.... :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, andygo said:

Yep, DS3 Laser Xenarcs. They come in a lovely box, lol.

Your tweak for the shaving off the small moulding on the ballast connecting cable saved loads of aggro, thanks.

Have you got a link to the stuff you bought as fancy this upgrade?

15 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Have you got a link to the stuff you bought as fancy this upgrade?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P7QPZXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FY78JBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ballast is a slightly different version than the one on Daz's video, but has the same part number and works, just plug and play.  Daz's version was unavailable when I was ordering yesterday.

Edited by andygo

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

I think you're right, but thought I'd check with the Oracle!

Lol, you already have the 35w ballast but you good increase the distance of your dipped lights by upgrading the bulbs to the Osram Nightbreakers. Same process mate but you don't swap the ballast and won't need to modify the connection. Easy.

Link for the Osram nightbreakers 

https://amzn.to/3mRtlwJ

You could sell your old bulbs to someone who is doing the 35w upgrade.

• Like 2