Will they write my car off, So P1ssed off

the baron

Was outside polishing my new exhaust with my new DA Duel polisher, when there was this almighty crash a fecking branch has snapped off open of the trees and comes crashing down onto of the car, its damaged the boot lid, rear wing, light and bumper. The pics below show the tree after I had pulled it off the car.

My question is do I make a claim and risk them writing the car off or just suck it up sort it out myself, If they look at the damage and then decide to write it off can I at that point say I will repair myself and not go through the insurance, will this still be logged on the car?

I won't be selling the car but equally I don't want a CAT C/D registered against it

Ynn1lTN.jpg

uWYAuTr.jpg

jGChLgO.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it yourself to a couple of bodyshops and a PDR place. Give the high miles on your car and potential number of panel replacements it might be marginal so I wouldn't even contact the insurance company yet.

Aw effing hell what a complete tw*t of a thing to happen, thats a bit of a dilemma. I think I would go down insurance route (if you are never going to sell what does it ever matter about category) no one but you is gonna know, oh and 50,000 BoXa. netters! 

(I would have been in tears after  the swearing)

22 minutes ago, Tynesider said:

I've just reread what you said, that Boxster saved your life you can never sell it. Were you actually under it, when the branch came down?

Yes, I suppose in away it did save my life.😀

@the baron sorry to see that - a good dent man / lady 😇 will sort that no drama.

I’ve used a chap countless times (based Cambridgeshire) and friends have even travelled (Blackpool I think furthest) to see him. 

He has rectified similar damage for me on my old 986 (Promo girls kneeling on the boot / clamshell - it was a stag do) - door dings / other half reversing our new mini into a garage door etc.... literally a magician.

if you want his details PM me.

Mini tailgate before (middle image) & after:

963-F7-AEB-0358-4078-8189-974-BED8-B3295

AC59-C2-F7-5-FA2-4-A2-A-A9-A3-4457820-DC

FCF3-FAEA-8-C7-A-4-F6-C-9-AB6-702-BDB589

Knee dents.... no afters but you get the point 😂

7-ACB7779-8228-46-FD-8910-4834-A7-CCEF34

21 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

@the baron sorry to see that - a good dent man / lady 😇 will sort that no drama.

I’ve used a chap countless times (based Cambridgeshire) and friends have even travelled (Blackpool I think furthest) to see him. 

He has rectified similar damage for me on my old 986 (Promo girls kneeling on the boot / clamshell - it was a stag do) - door dings / other half reversing our new mini into a garage door etc.... literally a magician.

Good dent work!

Promo girls at Le Mans...   The Hawaian Tropic girls always caused a stir 😬 when I have attended in the past.  Shed loads of p*ssed blokes oggling - must be a lovely working environment for them!

38 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Thanks for the offer of MR Dent man, he does sound splendid, as do the Hawaiian TropicGirls, if you had there number that would go a long way to cheering me up 😂

Hi

Im pleased it did not hit your head. Its a bit of a dilemma. Usually I would say go through the insurance, but it will affect your premiums and you might actually be able to fix it quite cheaply. If they write it off you may get it back cheaply enough to come out on top. But its a difficult call with such light damage.

Hope it all works out

Berni

Really sorry to hear this has happened but the car can be repaired much easier than you.

Always difficult to tell from pictures but you will be amazed what the paint less dent people can do. 

Worth getting them to look and quoting before you involve your insurance Company.

Steve 

What a pain - as others have said - best news is that no-one was hurt, that branch would have left a nasty bruise.....

Concur about doing the Due Diligence on a Master PDR Practitioner and getting them to do their thing - certainly wouldn't go anywhere near an insurer, not worth the aggro.

Will PM you.

That really doesn't look bad at all. A PDR man will likely get them all out and you'll never even know they were there. PDR is the only service where I have always been totally satisfied with the work - it's like witch craft

Apart from the replacement light and some bumper paint the rest is definitely a PDR job. Try to go by recommendation and avoid the national franchises, they love a good Porsche tax opportunity 👍🏻

Sorry to hear this, extreme bad luck as totally unforeseeable.  Glad you are OK.  IIRC you needed to repaint the rear pumper any way after a hair dryer fix to an impression, or have you had that done.  Definitely a dent man first just to get an idea what might be possible.  You've got all the pictures to show insurers later if required.  I can't see a scenario in which insurance would be cheaper in the long run than the other options as you need to list the claim on all policies you are on, not just the Boxster.

Archived