What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 10/30/2023 at 1:33 PM, Fat Rat said:

Can't keep blaming me for that! 🤣🤣

Pleased you got there and can hear the difference.

Still waiting for a reply from my message about door bin flaps. 😉👍

i keep getting emails recommending me door cards from eBay since that thread! ya git! :D 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, technics100 said:

Started into this after work.. Plan is to swap the wing out for another one.. I also want to clean the rads (they have been replaced so aren't too bad) and paint the bumper grills.. grills have been sanded and primed..

gh9axkF.jpg 

When i cleaned my rads out i relocated the manual bonnet release wire into the toe eye after someone suggested it here. 

N5eqZ5l.jpg

b02JZ7E.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nice work.

Have mine in the air at the moment with exhaust stripped off, gearbox brackets and other ancillaries removed. Might be an idea to drop the gearbox and renew IMS. I really have no idea whether it is best to leave well alone if there aren’t any problems but as 111K maybe I should do this just as a precaution. Any advice would be good.
Apologies for thread, hijack.

14 hours ago, bally4563 said:

And regardless if you have a locking wheel nut key ( why would you? Know one knicks wheels now , they just take the whole car) leave if it inside your car

So if you still need to use the towing eye do you just push the wire in to then screw in the towing eye?

27 minutes ago, ATM said:

So if you still need to use the towing eye do you just push the wire in to then screw in the towing eye?

Just have it cable tied within easy access of the hole when the cap is out.

10 hours ago, phazed said:

Nice work.

Have mine in the air at the moment with exhaust stripped off, gearbox brackets and other ancillaries removed. Might be an idea to drop the gearbox and renew IMS. I really have no idea whether it is best to leave well alone if there aren’t any problems but as 111K maybe I should do this just as a precaution. Any advice would be good.

If it is leaking oil from there take a look, but will most likely be RMS if there is oil.  If no oil, leave alone or you ware k to ne flywheel bolts and then when you have it off youll think why not put a new clutxh and flywheel in and youre into another grand of costs.  110k miles isn't really that much. What year is the car? If 2001 or later it is a single row which is the less durable bearing, but change on condition is the advice. @the baron got to over 210k miles before having it checked at Cotswold Porsche and then it remained in place.  He has the earlier dual row bearing, but even so.

Thanks for that. It is 2002. I will take your advice and leave the box in place for now. Will keep an eye on it. As I think I said, it had a new clutch last year and has hardly done any miles since.

51 minutes ago, phazed said:

Thanks for that. It is 2002. I will take your advice and leave the box in place for now. Will keep an eye on it. As I think I said, it had a new clutch last year and has hardly done any miles since.

Given that you'd be well aware of any oil leak when the clutch was done and if a new leak has developed you'd  see it while you are under it now.

However if it does go bang, nothing do do with me guv!  I wrote the piece pinned in the technical section after talking with some real experts and analysing info out there and even first hand looking at a dual and single row bearing removed form cars that really didn't need to be removed but did them on a preventative basis whilst having new clutches or fly wheels.

10 hours ago, phazed said:

Nice work.

I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. I would leave it until you need to change the clutch, then inspect the IMS before deciding what, if anything to do at that point.

Had a set back today with mine, turns out the cam chain lock tool delivered today is for a 3-chain engine, rather than 5-chain, took me over an hour to work out why it wouldn't fit.🤔 

26 minutes ago, markjh said:

I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. I would leave it until you need to change the clutch, then inspect the IMS before deciding what, if anything to do at that point.

Had a set back today with mine, turns out the cam chain lock tool delivered today is for a 3-chain engine, rather than 5-chain, took me over an hour to work out why it wouldn't fit.🤔 

The problem with this approach for the IMS is more like if it breaks you ain't fixing it. 

18 minutes ago, the baron said:

Finally got the old girl un SORNed after 2 years of being in hibernation, past the MOT and drives like a dream, forgotten how great these cars, it looks amazing too, with the ambers.

I'll look out for you at Thruxton then 🤐

5 minutes ago, the baron said:

Mrs Baron is the main driver, so look out for her driving, I’m still enjoying the 911.

Whats happening at Thruxton?

Don’t worry responding, I’ve seen your post in the events section, I might pop along depending on diary and weather

3 minutes ago, the baron said:

Mrs Baron is the main driver, so look out for her driving, I’m still enjoying the 911.

Whats happening at Thruxton?

I'm afraid you would have to sneak out of church - I've posted in the meets section there is a coffee run on Sunday 19th November - Thruxton doesn't seem to have done hardly any this year, but has one on then. Glad Karen's eyes got sorted and she's now driving the silver "coffin on wheels" ( I love your headlining really ) 😁

2 minutes ago, the baron said:

Don’t worry responding, I’ve seen your post in the events section, I might pop along depending on diary and weather

Too late - we crossed 🤪

2 minutes ago, CAZ said:

I'm afraid you would have to sneak out of church - I've posted in the meets section there is a coffee run on Sunday 19th November - Thruxton doesn't seem to have done hardly any this year, but has one on then. Glad Karen's eyes got sorted and she's now driving the silver "coffin on wheels" ( I love your headlining really ) 😁

Have booked my free tickets to the event, I sold the hard top as it was only going to be used in the summer, wish I had it now….

C U on the 19th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edc said:

The problem with this approach for the IMS is more like if it breaks you ain't fixing it. 

If it is leaking, don't ignore the leak and fix it. If there is metal in your oil, fix it.  If it is going to fail it is simply catastrophic.  Don't go looking for problems, or do we all change out the IMSB every 2 years regardless?  What's the advice @edc?

31 minutes ago, markjh said:

But if you've inspected it and it's OK why would you change it?

You wrote earlier if it ain't broke don't fix it no mention of inspection. Nevertheless, whether you inspect and you think it's good or whether you inspect and you think it's bad, it can still break and if it does you probably won't be fixing it if the engine is grenaded. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

If it is leaking, don't ignore the leak and fix it. If there is metal in your oil, fix it.  If it is going to fail it is simply catastrophic.  Don't go looking for problems, or do we all change out the IMSB every 2 years regardless?  What's the advice @edc?

Agree with most of that but not the change every 2 years like a regular service item. There's a school of thought that advocates removing the outer seal to allow fresh oil to lubricate the bearing. If you look at most removed bearings they have no grease in them anyway and are contaminated with oil ie the seals have failed or not made for splash or submerged in oil. Mine was just like this. 

You can also measure the cam deviation. If you did that say every 3 -6 months you'd get some good trend data because unless you are a sadist you won't be removing the gearbox at those intervals. And that is part of the issue, any inspection is subject to gearbox removal. That's a once in a car lifetime type of job for most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1