What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, andygo said:

Replaced my window regulator on my 987.2 Cayman.. Went pop (literally) as I pulled into the drive.

Bought a new one from Silverstone Porsche which tells you something as they had one in stock. Interestingly it was £20 plus VAT cheaper than Design 911.

Replacing it was straightforward enough once I had pulled the door trim off. Those self destructing clips are a nightmare to loosen off. (BTW they are identical to VW/Audi ones)

The nightmare part was setting up the glass. I had bolted everything up using the witness marks left by the previous regulator, but took ages to adjust it. You can only do it by trial and error really. Anyway, all good except the vertical gap at the back edge of the glass is about 3mm to big, so I'll have to pull the door trim and adjust, which is simple. I've ordered new trim clips off ebay (£7 for 10) and a proper removal tool which slides inbetween the panel and the clip and releases the clip.

Was surprised the regulator stripped its gears, cars only done 22,000 miles!

Having said that I have done 2 front coffin arms and tuning forks and it's got to go in to have the eccentric bolt replaced that adjusts the rear track.

It's going to have some PS4's fitted next as one of the front Pirellis isn't round as its been parked up for a lot of its latter years, sometimes doing less than 150 miles a year according to the MOT history. I'm also going to change the oil as prior to purchasing it it had an oil change, but the garage must have used ET to unscrew it as its filter housing is uniformley grubby. I'd imagine most owners never even look, making me question if it even had an oil change as its impossible to tell with no dipstick function to look at the oil...

Sounds like a productive a productive session 👍. Would you be able to share details of the trim tool you purchased for the door clips. 

Cheers Ady 🍻

Well I've not cut any telephone poles down today but I have lost my Internet! My neighbours have had theirs 'fixed' though, hmmm! 

Continuing the no signal theme, my recently acquired, 987. 1 has no GPS signal. 

Today I've updated the DVD from 2007 to 2015, no better. Unplugged the whole unit. Done the 148 reset. Checked the antenna near the pollen filter has two leads connected, still nothing! Says 0 satellites. 

Any ideas? 

8 minutes ago, BOB.T said:

Well I've not cut any telephone poles down today but I have lost my Internet! My neighbours have had theirs 'fixed' though, hmmm! 

Continuing the no signal theme, my recently acquired, 987. 1 has no GPS signal. 

Today I've updated the DVD from 2007 to 2015, no better. Unplugged the whole unit. Done the 148 reset. Checked the antenna near the pollen filter has two leads connected, still nothing! Says 0 satellites. 

Any ideas? 

They made a great camp fire when I was in the scouts. Not sure they would fit in my wood burner. Sorry Buzzby.

Back on topic fitted the last bump stop rubber which wasn’t as bad as the NS one which had almost turned to sand. Also greased the wheel nuts between the washer and the head. None on the threads as per the manual. Sorry if I mentioned that before!

1 hour ago, AdyG said:

Sounds like a productive a productive session 👍. Would you be able to share details of the trim tool you purchased for the door clips. 

Cheers Ady 🍻

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZYHQ9XG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, craigjam said:

Me too, I'm getting one of these!

I think for the cost of new clips and how often you have the door cards off, just get a bag of new ones, on standby if required.

12 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I think for the cost of new clips and how often you have the door cards off, just get a bag of new ones, on standby if required.

+1

16 minutes ago, craigjam said:

I've got a bag of new ones, I just can't get the old ones to release on the passenger door!

Ah!! You don’t want to break the slotted retainer on the door card by yanking, still with an applied pull and some leverage around the clip it should pop

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Ah!! You don’t want to break the slotted retainer on the door card by yanking, still with an applied pull and some leverage around the clip it should pop

That's what I thought, steady pull, etc. Worked on my 987.1 Boxster, but my recent experience was a different level. Had my foot on the door and pulled with a LOT of force to release.

Got my trim tool today, piece of cake now. Means that I'm not risking damaging the slots where the clips mount on the door trim panel.

I realise it's not an everyday piece of kit, but like most tools, invaluable when you need it.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

That's what I thought, steady pull, etc. Worked on my 987.1 Boxster, but my recent experience was a different level. Had my foot on the door and pulled with a LOT of force to release.

Got my trim tool today, piece of cake now. Means that I'm not risking damaging the slots where the clips mount on the door trim panel.

I realise it's not an everyday piece of kit, but like most tools, invaluable when you need it.

Fair point I have similar tools I’ve bought, that on the day come into there own.

got the car back from Revolution after New manifolds with 200cel cats

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqkTjT5EQTkl--AOmxw-FAf2EE0iWaWH/view?usp=drivesdk

also fitted some lobsters I picked up last week 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AwvHGhUBBzAkC93QeJWQ3Swi68iRQTIY/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by benjohnstone