What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No substitute for heat and tuning them lots to break up the internal corrosion on these droplink bolts once they are seized in place.  Just pressing out was reported by one owner as needing nearly a 5t load on a 12t press.  You'll never achieve that with a hammer...

Luckily I managed to hammer it out at work last night, just needed a mate to hold it up against the jaws of a fitting vice so it had something solid to react against, I couple of good hits and out it came, it’s surprising what you can achieve it you hit something hard enough...😁😉

3 hours ago, Roger C said:

Luckily I managed to hammer it out at work last night, just needed a mate to hold it up against the jaws of a fitting vice so it had something solid to react against, I couple of good hits and out it came, it’s surprising what you can achieve it you hit something hard enough...😁😉

My front right didn't budge even with a 14lb sledge hammer.  Even with heat (induction coil heater) and an impact wrench it still took a good 15-20 minutes before it surrendered!

Yesterday, top down in the sunshine, I drove to my brother's beach house. Parked up and took in the view.

69xjncX.jpg 

I was less pleased when I looked at my  car.

O8HuVwe.jpg

I should be grateful that the seagull wasn't a marksman. I'd left the roof down.

MOT day today and it sailed through so feeling mightily relieved. I know you shouldn't but you always fear the worst. I'd given it a really thorough clean inside and out as we all know it goes faster and passes MOT's if it's nice and shiny.

Unfortunately the local farmers and building contractors are locked in mortal combat over who can dump the most mud on the lanes around here. As a result it's now absolutely filthy 🙄

1 minute ago, McDonald said:

It fits easily into the garage. You suddenly realise they're quite small cars. Great cars, I'm sure you'll love it.

It does indeed fit in nicely. Think that's more down to the generous proportions the builder gave to the garage when he built the property. I do want to empty it out a bit more tho. 

21 hours ago, BOB.T said:

My car arrived last night so I've been out today and bought a sim card to put in it because having a car that's a phone is hilarious! :D

Original car kit? Hope it works - there are several reasons why it might not. (Phone system not fully installed, and sim card being the wrong one, are the two main ones).

On 3/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, Roger C said:

Someone’s was looking down on you, they can be a world of hurt, for something that looks a very straightforward job, unless like me you have a hot axe!! 

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Original car kit? Hope it works - there are several reasons why it might not. (Phone system not fully installed, and sim card being the wrong one, are the two main ones).

Yeah it's the built in one, on the dash next to the screen. Just bought the cheapest sim card that Tesco do, popped it in, rang the gf! 😂

Finally got around to doing some work on the car. New NS exhaust manifold fitted as the cat was knackerd (not the or in the picture). It's a slightly different design but fitted nicely. Helps having had it all apart recently but the lamda sensors were still well rusted in.

Loosely fitted one rear tuning fork and have just got to about page 4600 of the workshop manual for the tightening torques. Tomorrow's job to finish it all off. Didn't seem to be any p!ay in the old one unlike the fronts. 

Cleaned and Gummi Pledged various roof seals.

Used dry ptfe to get rid of some annoying roof creak from roof joints when opening.

Got to the bottom of a slight "crack" sound I was hearing when putting down the roof. Turned out the piece of passenger side roof trim wasn't quite aligned so attended to that too. 

All in all good improvement for 30 mins work.

Stuck the car on the Ctek.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Cleaned and Gummi Pledged various roof seals.

Used dry ptfe to get rid of some annoying roof creak from roof joints when opening.

Got to the bottom of a slight "crack" sound I was hearing when putting down the roof. Turned out the piece of passenger side roof trim wasn't quite aligned so attended to that too. 

All in all good improvement for 30 mins work.

Stuck the car on the Ctek.

51035503513_dc8f345fdc_b.jpg

I have the same problem with this trim panel. There's a spring holding it in place at the front, but it's unattached at the back. The crack noise is horrible. How did you fix it?

C4vrPrH.mp4