What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Finally fired off my Pirelli P Zeros that came with my recently purchased 987.2 Cayman. Car has done around 150 miles per year over the last 3 years and has always had a wheel vibration. Turns out one front tyre was out of round due to standing unused for months on end.

The Pirellis, IMHO are horrible, especially in the wet, so reverting to my tyre of choice, Michelins PS4 s's has transformed the car.

So pleased, which is more than my wife when she realised the cost!

She wants to drive it at the Nordschleife this year, she will be happy with the purchase then, thats for sure, lol.

41 minutes ago, Macus said:

I did condensers and drier today. 
Found coolant leak from the front crossover coolant pipes having already been warned about them by ‘JAZ Porsche’ so that’s on the cards for the next couple of weeks. 

There’s an ongoing thread in the technical section about the infamous crossover pipes...

• Thanks 1

First go at adding Porsche logo to leather arm rest correct thickness leather 1mm going to look for a plain leather when non essential open the is a fabric shop near me. Hot stamp obtained from AliExpress £24.59 including delivery, leather £14.00 ebay uk happy with first go.     A lot cheaper than online re trim of arm rest had a quote for £250.00 cheapest £150.00 I know they add stitching as well but really 

https://imgur.com/gallery/IdYbAVW

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kevin450 said:

First go at adding Porsche logo to leather arm rest correct thickness leather 1mm going to look for a plain leather when non essential open the is a fabric shop near me.

Any more info @kevin450? Did you just glue the leather over the existing cover?

My arm rest needs doing, it's got a big crack down the middle but no-one seems to do them in anything other than black, but I have blue interior.

2 hours ago, craigjam said:

Any more info @kevin450? Did you just glue the leather over the existing cover?

My arm rest needs doing, it's got a big crack down the middle but no-one seems to do them in anything other than black, but I have blue interior.

Hi used no no nonsense contact adhesive over the exsisting arm rest leather and trimmed to suit so you go ahead and get blue leather recommend 1mm thick leather nappa leather is to thin  I went for large off cuts had enough to to do 3 arm rests

Ebay uk 1 Kg Black Leather LARGE Off cuts for Art & Clothing or Furniture & Car Repairs  https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/annquin_leather

AliExpress image.jpeg.9c8e2849a91a2b8d3777d3ea279ef2c9.jpeg  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979306782.html?algo_pvid=68fc8131-b3a9-4d11-a7d7-11506d2e6b3c&algo_expid=68fc8131-b3a9-4d11-a7d7-11506d2e6b3c-0&btsid=2100bdd516174785676015028e7496&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ You can have any size you like I just used a heat gun to heat up stamp a bit of experiment how long to heat and leave hot and 30 seconds seemed to work hope this helps 

Edited by kevin450

5 hours ago, kevin450 said:

First go at adding Porsche logo to leather arm rest correct thickness leather 1mm going to look for a plain leather when non essential open the is a fabric shop near me. Hot stamp obtained from AliExpress £24.59 including delivery, leather £14.00 ebay uk happy with first go.     A lot cheaper than online re trim of arm rest had a quote for £250.00 cheapest £150.00 I know they add stitching as well but really 

https://imgur.com/gallery/IdYbAVW

That looks great, which size did you get please?

New brakes fitted all round.  I was supposed to do them myself, last weekend but the pins had welded themselves in the calipers.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

New brakes fitted all round.  I was supposed to do them myself, last weekend but the pins had welded themselves in the calipers.

If you have a proper punch that is the correct width and use a lump hammer they do shift 😉

bhOlSEn.jpg

Just now, Jonttt said:

If you have a proper punch that is the correct width and use a lump hammer they do shift 😉

Not after 5 years of use in all weathers they don't.  When a club hammer and drift didn't budge the first, I decided that having the callipers taken off and the pins drilled out was a cheaper option than breaking a suspension arm.

Just now, Greyanglia said:

Looks spot on - beautiful.

I learnt a valuable lesson today. When faff-assing around on minor jobs (see my other post re Renovo Reviver) make sure you remove the key and don't leave it the ignition.

Probably obvious to many but cleaning the windows, checking bodywork for Renovo spills and generally making love to the Boxter I then went to go out for spin down the Fosse Way with the roof down and battery was flat. 

There wasn't even enough juice to flip the frunk so I learned how to open it from the manual which was another little adventure. 

Anyway she's all tucked up now with the CTEK 5.0 humming away ready for another go tomorrow despite the 10C drop in daytime temperature.

6 minutes ago, Sp1boyo said:

New water pump, lower temp thermostat, lower pipe work and new correct coolant replaced... these cars do like money being thrown at them fair play ... 🙈🤣

Been there. Done that 😀

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sp1boyo said:

New water pump, lower temp thermostat, lower pipe work and new correct coolant replaced... these cars do like money being thrown at them fair play ... 🙈🤣

DIY or Indy?

16 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

DIY or Indy?

Indy,

even if I had the skills to do it myself, when it comes to “sale time” all work on the car needs to be backed up with receipts otherwise you will be up against it with buyers and car history.. 👍

finally completed ceramic coating on the freshly painted wheels.. I had forgotten how frustrating it is.

Finally managed to swap the air filter I bought in a sale last year! Not surprisingly the old one wasn't as dirty as usual - but certainly grey (I always think I can hear more intake boom when they need swapping).

Edited by Kirkm

Today I have driven my 987 .. over “hill n dale” or if you live in South Wales The Black Mountains ...

In the company of my mate in a Group N Spec Mits Evo ... it was rather nice too ! 
axl4E1c.jpg

Edited by Sp1boyo
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Sp1boyo said:

Today I have driven my 987 .. over “hill n dale” or if you live in South Wales The Black Mountains ...

In the company of my mate in a Group N Spec Mits Evo ... it was rather nice too ! 
axl4E1c.jpg

that's super cool !! I used to work for their WRC team back in the day, great times...

• Like 1