What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

7 minutes ago, Bayernlarge said:

I hadn’t heard of C5 before, so just watched their ‘how to apply’ video. Did you use the pre and post product, or just the C5?

Just wondering whether all three are really necessary?

I used pre and top up with the results are awesome 👌

A few wee bits and pieces today.
Removed the broken Boxster S bade from the boot. The replacement hasn't arrived yet but need to get it cleaned properly.

Black putty applied to the wind deflector - that was a great tip from here somewhere and it seems absolutely wedged in place now.

New exhaust put into the boot as we keep tripping over it or in to the edges of the box while it was sitting in the hall.

LED bulbs in to the front boot.

Replacement cup holder put back in. Seems to be working OK now so will get the old one repaired & sold.

Time to get taken for a drive now like a little old man as I've busted my ankle and can't work the clutch safely!

3 hours ago, Ascender said:

A few wee bits and pieces today.
Removed the broken Boxster S bade from the boot. The replacement hasn't arrived yet but need to get it cleaned properly.

Black putty applied to the wind deflector - that was a great tip from here somewhere and it seems absolutely wedged in place now.

New exhaust put into the boot as we keep tripping over it or in to the edges of the box while it was sitting in the hall.

LED bulbs in to the front boot.

Replacement cup holder put back in. Seems to be working OK now so will get the old one repaired & sold.

Time to get taken for a drive now like a little old man as I've busted my ankle and can't work the clutch safely!

Where are you sourcing the replacement badge? 

23 hours ago, Deano37 said:

2nd day into clutch, flywheel, exhaust, rear control arms, tuning forks etc and spring replacement.

1st day, rear bumper off, control arms out, tuning forks out, drop links and sway bar out (all being replaced).  Got to the point where we were fighting with the exhaust flange bolts, got 1 side done and then stopped for the night.

Today, got the exhaust off (hurrah!!), gear shift cables disconnected, slave cylinder unbolted and loose but cant get it out past the bracket holding another gear linkage that goes over the top of the transmission. Any body have any words of wisdom?

Hoping tomorrow will be a better day and actually get the gearbox out.

I'm optimistic it should all fly back together as most of it will be new!

Time for a well earned beer and bath........

A bit more progress today. Although the clutch still hasn't been removed yet due to needing a low profile triple square bit to remove one of the bolts from the bulk head. So carried on with some other stuff.

Driveshafts out and supported. New coffin arms, tuning forks and rear suspension support arms replaced.

3kqJOYC.jpg

Rear H&R springs, bump tops and covers fitted (30mm drop).

QmiaMux.jpg

Hoping to continue with a bit more tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

Couldn't get my left front hand side marker to click into place properly for some reason so I gave in and stuck some adhesive on the back. Bit ghetto but..

I had the same problem. I had to reshape the spring clip with a pair of needle-nose pliers: just a small tweak and then it held firmly.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Propofol said:

Ah. I got one from there but it is the size for the newer boxster, not the 987.

Quality looks OK, just a bit small.

Ahhh... b*ll*cks.

I did see mention of a smaller one, but wasn't sure exactly which logo from where it was referring to.

Is the best bet to just order from OPC then?

58 minutes ago, Ascender said:

Ahhh... b*ll*cks.

I did see mention of a smaller one, but wasn't sure exactly which logo from where it was referring to.

Is the best bet to just order from OPC then?

Wait and see...it might be the right size. If it is I'll buy one from that supplier.

OPC is bloody expensive for a sticker.....

• Thanks 1

Ordered replacement high-level brake light which seems to suddenly have decided to only light up half of the display ... should be a fairly quick job to replace and not too expensive at least it seems (although considerably more than the old/traditional just swapping a bulb!)

xwvdRcO.jpg

Edited by Camels

On 4/25/2021 at 5:33 PM, Deano37 said:

A bit more progress today. Although the clutch still hasn't been removed yet due to needing a low profile triple square bit to remove one of the bolts from the bulk head. So carried on with some other stuff.

Driveshafts out and supported. New coffin arms, tuning forks and rear suspension support arms replaced.

3kqJOYC.jpg

Rear H&R springs, bump tops and covers fitted (30mm drop).

QmiaMux.jpg

Hoping to continue with a bit more tomorrow.

Finally got the gearbox out, its fought us all the way but eventually given in!

kEQfBlg.jpg

Clutch looks like the original one on 102K miles and definitely needed replacing.

Eugffei.jpg

Managed to bugger up the new RMS seal when putting it in, couldn't get it square and had to butcher it to get it back out. Should have new one with new slave cylinder (might as well change it while i can get to it!) on Weds this week. 

Until then, its back to normal work for the rest of the week.

2 hours ago, Camels said:

Ordered replacement high-level brake light which seems to suddenly have decided to only light up half of the display ... should be a fairly quick job to replace and not too expensive at least it seems (although considerably more than the old/traditional just swapping a bulb!)

xwvdRcO.jpg

Careful with the mounting “nuts”  They are nuts held into the chassis with captive nuts in rubber grommets and when you put the screws back in don’t push down too hard when you are lining them up.  

Otherwise they will disappear into the bodywork. 

They don’t cost much and OPC have a ready supply of them since it appears to happen often.  

Mobile aircon chap out to leak test after I spent weekend replacing condensers and drier.

Sigh... Pressure drop still.  After (hours) searching with leak tester, discovered the culprit - a small corroded patch on the low pressure line under drivers side. Long low pressure line part number: 996 573 091 01 Intake pipe.  Splice or replace - probably the latter as can see beginnings of tiny pinpr*ck bulges under the black material lining this pipe.  Adjacent high pressure line seems ok. 

So the job continues , looks like this video will be what I follow next 

On 4/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, Bayernlarge said:

I hadn’t heard of C5 before, so just watched their ‘how to apply’ video. Did you use the pre and post product, or just the C5?

Just wondering whether all three are really necessary?

I didn't use any of their pre or post product (wasn't aware of them). The wheels got a good clean & finished the clean using brake cleaner prior to using the C5 product. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul P said:

Careful with the mounting “nuts”  They are nuts held into the chassis with captive nuts in rubber grommets and when you put the screws back in don’t push down too hard when you are lining them up.  

Otherwise they will disappear into the bodywork. 

They don’t cost much and OPC have a ready supply of them since it appears to happen often.  

Thanks for the heads-up although given that it's apparently only a 10min job I decided to just get the guys at 9Excellence who normally look after me and know what they're doing actually do the fitting for what is basically the price of a couple of pints these  days - in London anyway!  I'd have to go there anyway to pick up the part so not a great hardship.

Edited by Camels

Had the same bubble sin my 986.  Was due a service anyway so added it to the job list - GLAD I did !

Thought about getting it welded, but most don't recommend trying to as the pipe is spun aluminium and soft as cheese.

What a biatch of a job to get the pipe out without braking something.  

Don't forget new seals for the pipe too.

I need to do that too, my wheel bolts are pretty rusty also. Where did you get yours?

I've got the Carnewal exhaust kit coming this week and I managed to book a workshop to do the work next week. I'm really looking forward to the updated sounds!-)

9 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I've got official tool envy... this beats my bent paperclip hands down 😳

Bleedin' @iborguk - who does he think he is, coming in here giving it the big "I am", and showing off his fancy tools.  I suppose a small allen key poked through the centre cap holes isn't good enough for him.... :lol: