What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Drew a check engine light a couple weeks ago so I took the opportunity to get a good OBDII scanner.  I had recently changed the oil and needed to reset the service light anyhow.  After some research, I settled on the Foxwell NT510 Elite, ordered it, and parked the Boxster awaiting its arrival. When it arrived, I set up my Foxwell account, downloaded the Porsche module, and then plugged it into the OBDII port hoping for the best.  Fiddled with it a bit, scanned the system, and was able to get to the problem codes: P2187 and P2189...system too lean at idle.  I was stumped initially and then It dawned on me!  I thought that the oil cap felt a bit different when I put it back on after my oil change. Apparently the system runs for 50 miles before it informs you of the problem.  I reseated the cap and cleared the codes (and the service light).  Victory!  As an interesting aside, I was also able to find the over revs data on the new scanner.  Not intuitive to use but pretty cool nonetheless.  $140 well spent I think. 

Drove it! (First time in 3 weeks or more...) - to my indie to drop it off for a couple of weeks to have the brakes done.  Calipers totally serviced and painted orange with black lettering, HEL orange braided hoses, GT3 master cylinder fitted.  And maybe a couple of other bits, like rerouting bonnet release and replacing the dirty PPF in front of the rear arches.

Oh I do like spending money on it.  Wonder when I'll actually drive it....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Back from the garage ? 

He might leave it there waiting to spend the next chuck of money on it.  Cuts out the faff of driving it home and then back again.

• Haha 1

Collected the car from some work. -

refurbished headlights, sanded, relacquered and polished (lacquer was flaking off), also fitted the marcos de snork.

I made a complete ass of fitting the stick on plate, tried so many times to get it straight it no longer wants to stick, have ordered a new one oopsie.

https://imgur.com/a/2tqQN2Q

https://imgur.com/a/z1FQJnH

Edited by ptholt
image issues

Had a very good experience at Porsche Portsmouth today. My front number plate was broken and I also wanted to buy seals for the condensers & drier/dessicator soon to be fitted. Ordered them yesterday for collection today.

A young man called Ben had been very helpful when I called yesterday. Today he excelled himself. I asked if he could drill the holes in the plate for me? He immediately said yes. Unscrewed the plastic plate from my car and took it into the workshop to match the holes on the new plate. When he fitted the new plate, he observed that it wasn't sitting straight - it became clear that my original plate must have been wonky too. He went back inside, made me another new plate and drilled it with measurements. The replacement plate is metal too - much better than the nasty plastic one.

Ben also supplied the seven seals required and gave me 10% discount on those.

I'll commend him to the dealership manager on Monday. 1st class service.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ptholt said:

refurbished headlights, sanded, relacquered and polished (lacquer was flaking off), also fitted the marcos de snork.

I made a complete ass of fitting the stick on plate, tried so many times to get it straight it no longer wants to stick, have ordered a new one oopsie.

YT4QHfk.jpgogSRaVf.jpg

Like the plate!

I finally got around to replacing the elastic that keeps the soft top neatly in its channels when closing.  Had my wonderful multi-talented wife sew two buttons on the end of the fabric tabs on each side where the elastic attaches so I can easily replace the button-hole elastic when it wears out.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, ptholt said:

When fitting mine I first used making tape to measure and mark, then using lots of water from and old spray bottle to apply the sticky plate applied to both the bumper and the back of the plate. When totally happy with the placement then work gently from the center outwards whilst holding the plate in position.

Good luck, I think they improve the look/lines of the front no end rather than that after thought of a plate holder😃.

2020-11-07_12-15-41

8 hours ago, mneil said:

Ps, finish off with a gentle heat gun to shrink the more complex curves 😃

Tried that with my Misses @mneil no shrinkage just a bacon smell!!!

Edited by bally4563
Pilot error
  • Haha 2

On 4/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, nixster said:

Gear cable snapped. Limped to Porsche Cambridge and it’s now sitting there waiting for them to look at it next week 🙁

I feel a big bill coming my way 😢

Quoted £808 which could have been worse I suppose.

This is the second Boxster I’ve had this happen on, is it common or am I just ‘lucky’ 🤔

2 hours ago, nixster said:

Quoted £808 which could have been worse I suppose.

This is the second Boxster I’ve had this happen on, is it common or am I just ‘lucky’ 🤔

I gather it's generally regarded as a 'when' not 'if' problem, so yes very common.

The cables aren't mega money - OEM are £325 at Design911 (probably similar at your OPC parts counter).  Needless to say an indie would swap them out for less than your OPC quote.

Edited by minimoog

My cables went March last year, I bought a set for I think around £300, receipt is in files and I can get them tomorrow if you need to know where I bought them from. I have started to use a local garage who do regular car work and they restore classic sports cars. Coincidently one of his mechanics had just changed the cables on his 986 Boxster so he had him do mine. Dropped car off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon, all good for just over £500 (£300 + £218 for work).