What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

7 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I have the same problem with this trim panel. There's a spring holding it in place at the front, but it's unattached at the back. The crack noise is horrible. How did you fix it?

C4vrPrH.mp4

Mine just required a pull out by hand and a bit of dry ptfe lube.

At the start of the video is the roof fully closed ? Is that B Pillar sitting correctly?

You can see the roof joint mechanism at the top - certainly don't see that on mine with my roof fully closed.

Edited by iborguk

W

16 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Mine just required a pull out by hand and a bit of dry ptfe lube.

At the start of the video is the roof fully closed ? Is that B Pillar sitting correctly?

You can see the roof joint mechanism at the top - certainly don't see that on mine with my roof fully closed.

The video starts a little late. When the roof is fully closed, you can't see the joint mechanism. When I examine the driver's side, that middle panel seems attached at both ends. The passenger side seems only to be attached at the front, by a spring.

4 minutes ago, McDonald said:

W

The video starts a little late. When the roof is fully closed, you can't see the joint mechanism. When I examine the driver's side, that middle panel seems attached at both ends. The passenger side seems only to be attached at the front, by a spring.

Is there a part number visible under that plastic flap ? (suspect it will be part of a bigger part but you never know)

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Is there a part number visible under that plastic flap ? (suspect it will be part of a bigger part but you never know)

I guess I'd have to remove it by detaching the retaining spring to find a part number? Will the roof work without this bit of trim? I assume it's just cosmetic superstructure.

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I guess I'd have to remove it by detaching the retaining spring to find a part number? Will the roof work without this bit of trim? I assume it's just cosmetic superstructure.

There is no part number under the plastic flap (I checked mine) it's part of a bigger assembly.

Personally I'd fix , it would annoy me, but that's me.

Suggest comparing with how it's fixed on the other side.

There are a series of online workshop manuals at https://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/

Edited by iborguk

18 hours ago, iborguk said:

There is no part number under the plastic flap (I checked mine) it's part of a bigger assembly.

Personally I'd fix , it would annoy me, but that's me.

I've removed the short middle piece of trim, rather that keep hearing that awful noise. Curiously, it's intact. If I'd carried on dropping the top with that trim in place, it would only break. I'll have it refitted at some point, by someone who knows how to do it. Everything works in the meantime.

Waited several weeks for smoked, sequential LED side indicators to arrive from Aliexpress. Fitted on Monday, smart looking I thought. Spirited drive today after work but got home to find one of the new indicators hanging from wing by wiring. The spring clip is missing and the light is scratched.

Back to OEM tomorrow and hope the paint isn’t scratched.

19 minutes ago, BBB said:

Waited several weeks for smoked, sequential LED side indicators to arrive from Aliexpress. Fitted on Monday, smart looking I thought. Spirited drive today after work but got home to find one of the new indicators hanging from wing by wiring. The spring clip is missing and the light is scratched.

Back to OEM tomorrow and hope the paint isn’t scratched.

Any pics? This could be my next mod

I've had a busy day cleaning things!

I've done the drains with my new trombone cleaner, great fun! Cleaned the front bulkhead out, all the apertures and the plastics in the frunk. I've done all the seals with gummi stuff and the outside plastic with polytroll.

New wipers and Rain X. 

Fixed the hood elastic. 

Test drive with the hood down for the first time! Nice! 

Tomorrow will be polishing the outside and maybe leather cleaner on the seats if I have time! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOB.T said:

I've had a busy day cleaning things!

I've done the drains with my new trombone cleaner, great fun! Cleaned the front bulkhead out, all the apertures and the plastics in the frunk. I've done all the seals with gummi stuff and the outside plastic with polytroll.

New wipers and Rain X. 

Fixed the hood elastic. 

Test drive with the hood down for the first time! Nice! 

Tomorrow will be polishing the outside and maybe leather cleaner on the seats if I have time! 

A day well spent. It's very satisfying getting it all right, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Roger C said:

What is it and do I need it??

Rubber seal lubricant. Stops door and roof rubbers squeaking and refreshes them so they don't leak air so easily. Gummi Pflege.

16 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Rubber seal lubricant. Stops door and roof rubbers squeaking and refreshes them so they don't leak air so easily. Gummi Pflege.

Nice one, looks like I do need it then, I'm currently on Amazon..lol

Enjoy your rubbers guys! 😂

I've spent all day washing, removing contaminates, two stage machine polish, wax, wheels cleaned, tyres shined and did the hood with Fabsil! 

Didn't have time to do the leather so I'll check the stuff I bought and see if I need anything else 👍

ulrxMnm.jpg

zzQHKol.jpg

sOgBxKb.jpg

1 hour ago, BoxsterTOMacan said:

Will this fix a rubbing/squeking noise when I put the windows up/down? They rub against the rubber and cause this noise.

It certainly won't make it worse and should reduce if not eliminate the noise.

Replaced my window regulator on my 987.2 Cayman.. Went pop (literally) as I pulled into the drive.

Bought a new one from Silverstone Porsche which tells you something as they had one in stock. Interestingly it was £20 plus VAT cheaper than Design 911.

Replacing it was straightforward enough once I had pulled the door trim off. Those self destructing clips are a nightmare to loosen off. (BTW they are identical to VW/Audi ones)

The nightmare part was setting up the glass. I had bolted everything up using the witness marks left by the previous regulator, but took ages to adjust it. You can only do it by trial and error really. Anyway, all good except the vertical gap at the back edge of the glass is about 3mm to big, so I'll have to pull the door trim and adjust, which is simple. I've ordered new trim clips off ebay (£7 for 10) and a proper removal tool which slides inbetween the panel and the clip and releases the clip.

Was surprised the regulator stripped its gears, cars only done 22,000 miles!

Having said that I have done 2 front coffin arms and tuning forks and it's got to go in to have the eccentric bolt replaced that adjusts the rear track.

It's going to have some PS4's fitted next as one of the front Pirellis isn't round as its been parked up for a lot of its latter years, sometimes doing less than 150 miles a year according to the MOT history. I'm also going to change the oil as prior to purchasing it it had an oil change, but the garage must have used ET to unscrew it as its filter housing is uniformley grubby. I'd imagine most owners never even look, making me question if it even had an oil change as its impossible to tell with no dipstick function to look at the oil...