What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 2/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, Buzzlt said:

Bonnet Boot Release Switch for 911 997 987 Boxster Cayman 99761310502 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VSF48ST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_E8QRVWM2SQM3XE214XVT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again Buzzit. Amazon delivered my new switch this afternoon. Very good value & it looks perfect.

4 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

New Frunk and Trunk buttons arrived this morning. Just fitted. Didn’t disconnect the battery and they work fine.

FYI the panel they are sat in is only secured with 2x 5mm Allen keys which only need to be loosened but it doesn’t matter if they fall out. It does need a good yank to release it though. The module then comes out the top. Slightly difficult to release the cold plastic tabs but they didn’t break.

You make it sound very simple. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if I might manage this myself. The part itself looks like its just plug & play.

Finally started to prepare my car for when this lockdown ends. First thing on the list was to refurbish the alloys, I haven't touched these since buying the car 16 years ago! 19" Lobster Claws all fixed back to factory specification.

Used a good place in Hemel Hempstead, MaxPowder, would recommend!

Now trying to find good CHIPS Away and PDR folks that can sort out a couple of supermarket dings and one light 3 inch scratch above rear wheel. Appreciate any recommendations especially if it is in South Bucks or NW London.

48 minutes ago, guyinharrow said:

Finally started to prepare my car for when this lockdown ends. First thing on the list was to refurbish the alloys, I haven't touched these since buying the car 16 years ago! 19" Lobster Claws all fixed back to factory specification.

Used a good place in Hemel Hempstead, MaxPowder, would recommend!

Now trying to find good CHIPS Away and PDR folks that can sort out a couple of supermarket dings and one light 3 inch scratch above rear wheel. Appreciate any recommendations especially if it is in South Bucks or NW London.

813C1017-0F76-4630-B5BB-8E31EACEE818.jpeg

• Like 1

Where is the best place to buy a 997.2 front coffin arm at the mo please?

Also, I quite fancy a decent Alacantra cover for my low mileage 997.2 Cayman with paddles. I'm guessing a self fit cover means you can remove it, leaving the pristine original leather at selling time?

Edited by andygo

49 minutes ago, McDonald said:

You may be advised to refit the centres. I think the random look is fine but someone'll mention it.

The wheels look great.

Hehe, yes I noticed that as well. Will do that tomorrow as none of them are placed correctly. But now I have finally started sorting out the small niggly things I have a new found love for my car. Just thinking if I should also just get a body shop to paint the callipers (red or black).. I might just do it red as it looks better and I will NOT put an S badge on the rear :)... just need to find a good DPR and someone to fix the small scratch

Edited by guyinharrow

3 hours ago, Pinewood said:

ask on the 997 forum? 

3 hours ago, andygo said:

Good answer, lol! I meant 987.2 thoogh.

It is actually the same part on 987.2 and 997.2  - 997 341 053 03

+1 for Spyder Performance unless you want original Porsche in which case you OPC but a lot more money.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

It is actually the same part on 987.2 and 997.2  - 997 341 053 03

+1 for Spyder Performance unless you want original Porsche in which case you OPC but a lot more money.

Think that’s the same as the 987.1 as well. But yeah + Spyder as they have the correct parts  nailed down. Wish it was the same 3/4 years ago when I changed mine. If you haven’t t done the ‘tuning forks’ as well might be worth looking into the kits if there is one as at this age probably on there last legs too. Snooker ball knocking sound on the front shows them up but not as easy to hear at the back.

The 987.1 coffin arms are different front and back btw dunno about the 987.2

21 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

New Frunk and Trunk buttons arrived this morning. Just fitted. Didn’t disconnect the battery and they work fine.

FYI the panel they are sat in is only secured with 2x 5mm Allen keys which only need to be loosened but it doesn’t matter if they fall out. It does need a good yank to release it though. The module then comes out the top. Slightly difficult to release the cold plastic tabs but they didn’t break.

I found and removed the mushroom covers. The 5mm Allen key fits and I've undone the front one. Do I have to remove the seat to get access to the rear one? How hard is that? What will I disturb by attempting seat removal? I've never tried to be useful in car maintenance but if it's feasible, I'll give it a go.

Just now, McDonald said:

I found and removed the mushroom covers. The 5mm Allen key fits and I've undone the front one. Do I have to remove the seat to get access to the rear one? How hard is that? What will I disturb by attempting seat removal? I've never tried to be useful in car maintenance but if it's feasible, I'll give it a go.

No just raise the seat a bit and move it forwards. Use the Allen key the wrong way round and hook a ring spanner 10mm ish on the end to turn it.

31 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

No just raise the seat a bit and move it forwards. Use the Allen key the wrong way round and hook a ring spanner 10mm ish on the end to turn it.

Brilliant, thanks. I've got the panel out of the car. I'm now struggling to release the old switch from the panel. I've watched an online video but it isn't clear which pressure points must be released to pop it out. I'lll get there, I'm sure.

Success. I've fitted the new switch. It seems faintly miraculous that none of the 16 yr old plastic snapped. It's a very satisfying way to use an hour on Sunday morning. I'm sure I could do it again in half the time or less, as practice makes perfect. 

34 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Success. I've fitted the new switch. It seems faintly miraculous that none of the 16 yr old plastic snapped. It's a very satisfying way to use an hour on Sunday morning. I'm sure I could do it again in half the time or less, as practice makes perfect. 

I enjoy a bit of spanner work and the satisfaction of knowing a job has been done properly. 
Good luck with your front bumper. The first time I did mine it took about 90mins and now I reckon I could do it again in 30mins.

It’s better to have someone to help with the final removal so you can take it off straight while supported on both sides and the same with putting it back on. BBC5F85C-FCD1-4FAC-A7B3-3E41DEBD0470.jpeg.ffdd806123a317843dcbe2cf146a1d79.jpeg

• Like 1

Busy weekend - Changed wheels to some 19" lobsters that I picked up recently, fitted some spacers at the same time and got a Hunter alignment done. Frunk and boot struts replaced. Finished off with a quick wash and wipe down. Still got the HVAC switches to swap out, hopefully next weekend...

wFyiAvK.jpg

Edited by stevethegreek
  • Like 1