What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Took it for a full hunter. I was pretty sure there wasn't much wrong with it - ran straight - but the toe was out front and back on the passenger side and the rear passenger side camber was out. Anyway got it all ok. Steering feels a bit less numb at dead centre. Came back the twisty, bumpy, slippery way and I gave it some wellington. It seemed to hoover up the bumps better and I was perfectly confident as it was sliding on the exits. At one point I had all 4 wheels sliding together and it felt fine.  Mind you I've never driven it hard on slippery roads before.

With that and the synthetic gearbox oil change which is also a good fix I'm happy with it. Except it's now dirty. Tsk....

20 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Took it for a full hunter. I was pretty sure there wasn't much wrong with it - ran straight - but the toe was out front and back on the passenger side and the rear passenger side camber was out. Anyway got it all ok. Steering feels a bit less numb at dead centre. Came back the twisty, bumpy, slippery way and I gave it some wellington. It seemed to hoover up the bumps better and I was perfectly confident as it was sliding on the exits. At one point I had all 4 wheels sliding together and it felt fine.  Mind you I've never driven it hard on slippery roads before.

With that and the synthetic gearbox oil change which is also a good fix I'm happy with it. Except it's now dirty. Tsk....

Gearbox oil worth doing you say? What ya filled it with, manual I presume? 

10 minutes ago, Digidick said:

Gearbox oil worth doing you say? What ya filled it with, manual I presume? 

I talked about it in the thread about shifters in the 987 section. For me it really made a big difference. With the treacle that Porsche put it there from new it was tough to get it first and second when cold and not much better when it was hot. I considered putting a new shifter in, adjusting the cables, shimming the shifter block etc. Years ago I had an Alfa 75 with a rear transaxle and that was the same. I put the synthetic in that and it was a lot better. Boxster is great now - as soon as I pulled away I could feel the difference. I used Millers. Why Porsche don't put it in from new I have no idea. Cheapskates.

19 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I talked about it in the thread about shifters in the 987 section. For me it really made a big difference. With the treacle that Porsche put it there from new it was tough to get it first and second when cold and not much better when it was hot. I considered putting a new shifter in, adjusting the cables, shimming the shifter block etc. Years ago I had an Alfa 75 with a rear transaxle and that was the same. I put the synthetic in that and it was a lot better. Boxster is great now - as soon as I pulled away I could feel the difference. I used Millers. Why Porsche don't put it in from new I have no idea. Cheapskates.

Cool I’ll look into that.

which Millers, do you have a link please? 

Edited by Digidick

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Any oil will have deteriorated significantly in 12-16 years particularly if it has also done 100k miles (drain interval is officially 150k km IIRC). As you said in the other thread it is a fairly low cost option to improve the gear change.

• Like 1

Fitted Zunsport grilles, using the discount code on here they were £80.

Also sewed new elastic into both sides of the hood. It was a much easier job than I thought it would be. I found some nylon rope each side that was broken, but it doesn't seem to have affected anything. 

20 hours ago, JonSta said:

Ordered some £30 delivered, looking forward to giving it a go. 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, JonSta said:

I recommend this oil a while back, and has really improved the shift on mine

On 2/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, JonSta said:

Buy 3 x 5L and divvy it up, enough for 5 cars :whistle:

14 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Look - just because you've got a maths GCSE and all I've got is O level woodwork (failed) there's no need to show off.

O levels, even attempted O levels were quite advanced. Who remembers CSEs?

3 minutes ago, McDonald said:

O levels, even attempted O levels were quite advanced. Who remembers CSEs?

I did O levels for everything - except French - CSE French (I only took this as an option because it was me, my best mate and about 20 girls on the course :)), to be honest I can't remember what grade I got in French but I do remember having a laugh...

1 minute ago, rowbos said:

I did O levels for everything - except French - CSE French (I only took this as an option because it was me, my best mate and about 20 girls on the course :)), to be honest I can't remember what grade I got in French but I do remember having a laugh...

A family friend recounts his son's delight at training to be a vet. Overwhelmingly girls enrolled on the course. He's enjoyed being overwhelmed, year after blissful year. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, McDonald said:

A family friend recounts his son's delight at training to be a vet. Overwhelmingly girls enrolled on the course. He's enjoyed being overwhelmed, year after blissful year. 

Hehe, by contrast when I went to Uni (Real Time Systems Design), we had two girls on the course (and about about 50 guys), one was more of a lad than most of the lads and the other did a passable impression of a stereotypical movie serial killer...