What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

13 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Hehe, by contrast when I went to Uni (Real Time Systems Design), we had two girls on the course (and about about 50 guys), one was more of a lad than most of the lads and the other did a passable impression of a stereotypical movie serial killer...

I didn't realise you had met your lovely wife at uni.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JonSta said:

No I wussed out and got the local garage on the job as it was going in for alignment anyway. Top tip undo the filler plug before you drop the old fluid. Just in case it's seized. Turns out mine came out dead easy.

Yeah I’ve used that rule for years 👍😊

Skilled spannerers won't understand my joy at a simple triumph today. After reading on the forum about blocked drains, I bought a trombone cleaner and put it to work today. Removing the covers from the trunk I was appalled to find much debris around the battery area and drains. It looked like it had built up over years. Especially surprising as the last OPC service was carried out in August & cleaning the drains was the opening line on the invoice. I applied the vacuum cleaner and collected quite a lot. The trombone cleaner worked its way down and pushed out some leaf fragments from each side. Under the fuel filler passed through uneventfully. Under the clamshell, the offside was quite clean but some leaves were gathered around the one on the passenger side. When I eased the trombone cleaner in there, a stone dropped out the bottom. Lord knows how it got in there but I'm confident the drain will function better without it. Such an easy job and absurdly satisfying.

https://imgur.com/a/gOpI6Sj

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

stone? looks like a boulder and good you got that out. would have made a lovely dam for the other debris to sit upon (and block) 

I've been troubled by a damp smell since I got the car in late December. I use 2x1 kilo dehumidifier bags and frequently pop them into the microwave. The steam arising suggests there has been a problem. I had the hood restored immediately & the car has been garaged for two months but there's still a slight aroma. Now at last I've taken action & cleared 5 drains - I hope that's all of them. Things can only get better. 

Haven't exactly done anything on the car but....

New Frunk and boot release buttons ordered £39 from Amazon (previously repaired them, but for that price not even worth looking at).

New Frunk and boot gas struts ordered as per previous posts from Autodoc so thanks for those £49 all in.

2 New rear tuning forks (like on the first post here) and 2 Front bump stop rubbers from Spyder - loving the layout of their updated website for the spares they offer. £167.70.

Should keep me busy in the garage for a bit now that it looks like it's going to be warm enough to go out there.

Oh and some new Meguires polishing pads for when I get really bored.

11 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

New Frunk and boot release buttons ordered £39 from Amazon (previously repaired them, but for that price not even worth looking at)

Please post a link for those release buttons. If they fit my car, I'll buy some too - my frunk button is broken.

1 minute ago, McDonald said:

Please post a link for those release buttons. If they fit my car, I'll buy some too - my frunk button is broken.

Bonnet Boot Release Switch for 911 997 987 Boxster Cayman 99761310502 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VSF48ST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_E8QRVWM2SQM3XE214XVT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

Bonnet Boot Release Switch for 911 997 987 Boxster Cayman 99761310502 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VSF48ST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_E8QRVWM2SQM3XE214XVT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks so much Buzzit, I've placed my order immediately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McDonald said:

Skilled spannerers won't understand my joy at a simple triumph today. After reading on the forum about blocked drains, I bought a trombone cleaner and put it to work today. Removing the covers from the trunk I was appalled to find much debris around the battery area and drains. It looked like it had built up over years. Especially surprising as the last OPC service was carried out in August & cleaning the drains was the opening line on the invoice. I applied the vacuum cleaner and collected quite a lot. The trombone cleaner worked its way down and pushed out some leaf fragments from each side. Under the fuel filler passed through uneventfully. Under the clamshell, the offside was quite clean but some leaves were gathered around the one on the passenger side. When I eased the trombone cleaner in there, a stone dropped out the bottom. Lord knows how it got in there but I'm confident the drain will function better without it. Such an easy job and absurdly satisfying.

https://imgur.com/a/gOpI6Sj

Spanner skills or not every journey starts with a first step, each job then gives you more confidence to take on the next and before you know it you have a shed full of useful tools and you'll be doing a home rebuild of all your suspension.

6 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Thanks so much Buzzit, I've placed my order immediately.

Yep last time I was looking they were about £75 so I took it out and managed to re-solder some of the circuit board. I guess they are in a prime spot for getting coke or something spilt on them. I seam to remember that although all that holds them in are two (5 maybe 4mm) Allen keys from the inside of the sill (under 2 mushroom caps). They were really deep in the plastic so difficult to get the Allen key in with the seat in the way. After that the whole thing just lifts out with a 3 pin plug. Might be worth disconnecting the battery when you do it so you don’t get any errors. I think it may take a few cycles for the cars memory to realise that the buttons work again if you don’t have piwis or Durametric to reset any errors.

Happy to help.

You have no idea how long it took me to find the correct suspension parts for my car when I did the rest. Parts of the arms (Coffin etc) use the same generic castings as the 996, 911 and 986 but with different bushes. It’s great to have this thread and just narrow things down to 987.1 or .2

1 hour ago, Buzzlt said:

last time I was looking they were about £75

When I got the car, this switch & the air con were the only things not working. 911 advertised the replacement switch at almost £100. Finding it for £39.00 is excellent.

Thanks again,

Mc 

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Spanner skills or not every journey starts with a first step, each job then gives you more confidence to take on the next and before you know it you have a shed full of useful tools and you'll be doing a home rebuild of all your suspension.

Thanks for your encouraging words. My steps are tentative but I loved this simple bit of maintenance. It may embolden me to remove the front bumper. I'd like to clean out any debris and put in some mesh.

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

Thanks for your encouraging words. My steps are tentative but I loved this simple bit of maintenance. It may embolden me to remove the front bumper. I'd like to clean out any debris and put in some mesh.

There are a number of on line videos to use as guides.  As a tip I chose to replace the various exposed screws under the front bumper with stainless steel ones as they get pretty rusty under there.  Also check the two plastic air dams that hang in front of the front wheel arches, another easy to change part (they are often battered or missing as they re quite vulnerable) with just 3 screws. Another easy quick win with only a cross head screw driver.  Finally if the bonnet or boot lids do not rise easily and stay up, changing the gas dampers is also easy and fairly cheap just requiring a flat blade screwdriver to pop off the retaining collars.

• Like 1

New Frunk and Trunk buttons arrived this morning. Just fitted. Didn’t disconnect the battery and they work fine.

FYI the panel they are sat in is only secured with 2x 5mm Allen keys which only need to be loosened but it doesn’t matter if they fall out. It does need a good yank to release it though. The module then comes out the top. Slightly difficult to release the cold plastic tabs but they didn’t break.