What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

There is another post about this somewhere at the moment. In technical I think. Yep the bolts don’t come out easily from the cylinder head and the there in each side of the exhaust will have dissolved. Best left to the professionals unless you are good at putting M8 thread inserts into the cylinder head. I spent 20mins on each bolt at least with both electric and air impact wrenches.

Only snapped the two at the front. Even welding a bit on they wouldn’t budge and had to be drilled out. 3, Maybe 4 years on and some fake Halfords copper grease and the come out easy. 🙂

I think I might have posted ‘Ow my knuckles’ on it previously or it may be something else I tried.

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

More importantly what does it sound like?

I fancy doing them but the bolt thing puts me off. 

sounds a hell of a lot better but the old one was leaking so sounded awful.  got quite a bark now and some burble on the overrun. a trip to carnewal is on the cards once travel is allowed. 

Finished the dampers replacement, off side was a complete pig and fought me all the way with seized bolts etc, but the near side was easy peasy, had it all done in a few hours.

i2amVcC.jpg

Looking forward to a decent test drive tomorrow 😈

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 12:16 PM, JonSta said:

More importantly what does it sound like?

I fancy doing them but the bolt thing puts me off. 

Do you mean the exhaust or the front mud flaps hitting the deck because the bump stops were shagged ?

This should answer your question I hope. 986 is for standard exhaust perspective 😉

Not all today but recently I have, 

Fitted LED front side lights and fog lights. 

Replaced the faulty GPS antenna with an 8 quid generic one off ebay, works a treat! 

Bought some CDs to test the multi changer, works! 

Fitted an ipod dock bluetooth adapter under the armrest, can now stream music too... I don't because the engine sounds so nice! 

Finally, for now, swapped the euro plates out for plain ones and also added a surround on the rear

aydq6Wz.jpg

Did the DRL hack and fitted LED fog bulbs to complete the upgrade. The Philips head screws in the lamp assembly had rusted to hell but managed to get them out eventually. I replace them with marine grade stainless versions and plenty of copperslip, so hopefully won’t face that issue again.

• Like 1

Drive to Brighton and back (the wiggly way) to exchange (delayed) Xmas presents with my elderly mother in her garden 👍😁

• Like 1

Going to try and T- Cut out the scrape someone has left on her rump!

4 hours ago, CAZ said:

Going to try and T- Cut out the scrape someone has left on her rump!

Annoying hope you have some luck with the T cut Caz. Note AV8 opens mid May hope we can have a run down soon after 👍👍👍

Edited by Topbox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Annoying hope you have some luck with the T cut Caz. Note AV8 opens mid May hope we can have a run down soon after 👍👍👍

Thanks Bob -  we have to keep the numbers below a certain level or they class us an event and try and charge us £10 a head on top - looks like we will be heading for end of June / beginning of July at the moment - will let everyone know when it's sorted :bana:

• Like 2

Actually took mine out last night, first time since October, with the COVID stay local rules lifted.

100 + miles, fairly quiet roads, it actually felt like a big occasion - I know that might sound sad! But I’ve only done 900 miles in it since it was serviced in June 2020.

It was just the thing needed after a shyatety week in work, these are great cars! 

• Like 1

Gave up trying to get my Pioneer head unit to work, using the incartec most adapter, lights up like a Christmas tree but no sound, walked away going to take another look this morning, but not holding my breath as everything is connected to where it could be connected, short of having a faulty adapter, I can see the old head unit going back in.

70 mile bimble through Wiltshire & Gloucestershire with Mr997 just for the fun of it - as p*ssed off couldn’t polish out all of the scrape some tw*t has left on her rump 😢    

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Gave up trying to get my Pioneer head unit to work, using the incartec most adapter, lights up like a Christmas tree but no sound, walked away going to take another look this morning, but not holding my breath as everything is connected to where it could be connected, short of having a faulty adapter, I can see the old head unit going back in.

Cracked it dodgy amp power plug off the new incartec loom !!!!!

Finally found time to wash and wipe two of the repainted wheels and put ceramic coating on them (gtechniq).. have to wait for the sun to stop blasting the other side to do those next! I really should have taken the wheels off but have never tried - so it was quite complex to coat the inside!