What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

On 6/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, Tarun said:

PDK Folks - how do you use your gears in manual mode?

I'm a bit new to all of this, and still understanding the manual mode when I'm on a nicer A or B road. On youtube videos, I see people shifting from 1 > 2 at around 35mph, and then taking 2nd gear all the way to 75 😮. Is this common?

Another q - do you downshift when in manual mode? Or leave it up to the PDK to do it? I've downshifted when I suddenly come across a nice piece of empty road and am on 5th or 6th at 40mph, cause throttle response isnt as immediate in those gears at that speed. But I usually downshift to 3rd in those cases....can I go lower? In general in manual mode on British A, B roads, are you basically in 2nd + 3rd or 3rd + 4th or all three 🤔?

If I'm in manual and approach a red light or roundabout, I just brake and let the pdk downshift for me. Do folks do this differently?

When in automatic PDK mode and cruising in 6th or 7th gear at 60mph, if I put my foot down, the throttle response is not instant, takes a few seconds and slowly builds up. Is this expected? 

manual mode is fun - and there aren't any real rules - basically the gearbox won't let you stall or over rev otherwise, do what feels nice ( :) ) - I find changing down into slow or possible stops in this mode gives a smoother experience - but it's all down to your own style

But - also - you don't always need full manual mode when playing - as others have said a small blip will drop a gear - a bigger blip will drop 2, or a floor ( not kickdown ) and back up will select the lowest gear with the matching revs ready to go - and bury your foot will invoke hyperspace. On motorways - I tend to blip to get 6th rather then 7th for a swift overtake - but depends on where you start and where you want to end up speeds - easy to go from 75 to 95 when you really wanted 80 ( closed track, professional driver, don't try this at home, whatever.....) 

Also - the gearbox is sensitive to driving input - so if you do the blip trick above - then for a little while - the map changes  to hold the gears longer.

You can also "hint" with the brakes - brake hard, turn in , the gearbox assumes you are bend swinging and will change down more and hold gears longer ( and it senses lateral G - so won't change up half way round the bend etc)

finally - you can override with the buttons/paddles - I tend to do this on the approach to roundabouts - slow, look to see if its clear - power through - that seems to confuse the pdk - it's not sure at the point of throttle if you are wanting to change up or down - and in mine ( 987.2 ) thats where it's most lumpy - I tend to use the buttons on the way into a roundabout - putting it down a couple of gears and staying in that gear through the roundabout - by the time its time to think about changing - it's moved back to auto and now understands the "mood" of the moment.

• Like 2

Tracked Fluff for the first time at a PCI event in Mondello park , knew it was a good chassis but didn’t realise how good. Most impressed by the brakes as didn’t get a hint of fade all day and was standing on them quite a bit.Found it very easy to adjust the car on the limit with the throttle even tho on 20”S it’s way over tyred for the power 

😃😃😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sucked 3 inches of water out of the passenger floor and carpet.

Seems a drain hole must have got blocked recently and last weeks storm filled up the rear compartment before then filling up the computers under the seat.  First I knew was the parking sensors started packing up and the display had a red attention sign, first the fronts, then the rears the next day.

51289405011_e1eb7d543a_b.jpg

I've spent the last three days , in between the rain, trying my best to get it all dry.

I've got lucky and apart from an airbag light, all is working again.

I've plugged in my Durametric and restet the fault code...will see if that holds, but it's due in for a service ain a couple of weeks so the Revolution boys can give it a full scan.

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Patt said:

Seems a drain hole must have got blocked recently and last weeks storm filled up the rear compartment before then filling up the computers under the seat.  First I knew was the parking sensors started packing up and the display had a red attention sign, first the fronts, then the rears the next day.

I've spent the last three days , in between the rain, trying my best to get it all dry.

I've plugged in my Durametric and restet the fault code...will see if that holds, but it's due in for a service ain a couple of weeks so the Revolution boys can give it a full scan.

hope you get it sorted Patt :( 

52 minutes ago, Patt said:

Bad new Patt and at a time you could really do without this! Hope it goes ok. See you soon 

Sold my Base 981 Boxster and replaced with this….

vaY8nBi.jpgWill miss Porsche ownership, but always wanted an M car. I love this forum so will continue to be a voyeur for some time. 😀 Thank you to all of you for your advice and warmth. 👍🏻

Andrew

Edited by Madlil
  • Like 2

Good luck Madlil, looks great and I know first hand that they are extremely quick!

It's a shame you are only ticking the box now, the engines before were very special especially at high rpm, take it easy the new generation cars can bite and are not so well behaved as the 981.

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Good luck Madlil, looks great and I know first hand that they are extremely quick!

It's a shame you are only ticking the box now, the engines before were very special especially at high rpm, take it easy the new generation cars can bite and are not so well behaved as the 981.

Thank you Daz, will still be watching your epic vids mate. All the best...

FAILED

Car was even worse yesterday after the down poor overnight.

Error messages in order of appearance:

start stop failed

Parking sensors failed, front and rear together this time

heated steering wheel failed (don't think I have one!?)

hill start stopped working

Power steering intermittently working

And finally the whole dash was cutting out.

She now resides with Eporsh waiting for them to fit her in to their busy schedule.☹️

They were kind enough to lend me a 2004 auto Fiesta..... 

3 hours ago, Patt said:

FAILED

Car was even worse yesterday after the down poor overnight.

Error messages in order of appearance:

start stop failed

Parking sensors failed, front and rear together this time

heated steering wheel failed (don't think I have one!?)

hill start stopped working

Power steering intermittently working

And finally the whole dash was cutting out.

She now resides with Eporsh waiting for them to fit her in to their busy schedule.☹️

They were kind enough to lend me a 2004 auto Fiesta..... 

Hard luck Patt, feel your pain 😰.

Tough one Patt. Hope it gets sorted at a reasonable cost.

11 hours ago, moospeed said:

De-valued it by another 200 miles whilst the roads are clear during the football.

Got dark and rainy so I was coming home, was coming home...

Can't upload picture for some reason (again with this hateful imgur nonsense), maybe the link will work.

http://imgur.com/a/QWsXUDf.jpg

Nice pic. Could be one for the calendar! AdGRQwS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have had a terrible noise coming from front of car for a while now - traced it to front wheel bearing . Local garage 

fixed it today . 2 bearings ,discs and pads done at same time time .Great job 

Today I did a YouTube shoot in my 2016 981 S with James Martin (not the chef) for his channel. I think you all know which one ! Porsche club GB R2 region organised the day so big thanks to George and Caitlin. James took my car out for an hour or so with at least 6 cameras attached in various locations on the car. Followed by me doing a few swift drive pasts that he filmed.

James estimates that it should be on YouTube late September. 

Great day, great weather nice guy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Afrikaner said:

Today I did a YouTube shoot in my 2016 981 S with James Martin (not the chef) for his channel. I think you all know which one ! Porsche club GB R2 region organised the day so big thanks to George and Caitlin. James took my car out for an hour or so with at least 6 cameras attached in various locations on the car. Followed by me doing a few swift drive pasts that he filmed.

Look forward to seeing it on screen, he's been a bit off the mark with his comments on the new GTS imho but was quite pleasant about the 981 he featured previously. I heard he was going to Glamis castle is that where you were?

He’s generally pretty positive about Boxsters, so look forward to watching the video 👍

Go on tell the less informed. What channel 👍