Another one bites the dust...

Lennym1984

So it is with great sadness that I must announce the passing of another Boxster! Unfortunately I met a foreign campervan on the wrong side of the road last night and despite swerving (they then swerved into me) there was little I could do to avoid it.

I feel absolutely gutted (my car had been totally reliable, everything was in fine fettle, and even the paint still looked like new) but I'm equally very grateful for the fact that it saved me. The passenger compartment stood up brilliantly and despite having the front left side destroyed, everything inside stayed totally solid (even the electric windows still worked). To the amazement of the witnesses, I hopped out over the bonnet with only cuts and (airbag) burns on my arms.

Probably the most "painful" part of the entire experience was listening to the German driver who had almost just killed me, complaining to me about the fact that their insurance payout would probably be a bit low given that values of diesels have fallen in Germany. To make matters worse they then followed this up with, "it doesn't matter for you because you're rich" (they obviously didn't check the age of my Porsche!).

I'll be back in a Porsche soon but in the meantime thanks for all of the help over the last two years!

I will probably list a few odds and sods for sale shortly (I recovered the wind deflector and had annoyingly just had a new set of Michelin PS2s for my other wheels) but for now....Goodbye!

https://ibb.co/9qy8STd
https://ibb.co/TBPgTRX

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez mate, I think that is one of the most upsetting posts I've ever read on here, I'm gutted for you. You're ok (somehow!) and obviously that is by far the main thing but I can imagine how you're feeling about the car having been through it, although mine didn't turn out to be a write-off.

I don't have words for the other driver's comments to you, obviously arrogance to the extreme and absolutely no understanding of a genuine enthusiast's emotional attachment to their car regardless of cost.

Great to hear your intention to be back in Porsche soon but however long that is there's no need for the 'Goodbye', stick around buddy, I'm sure everybody on this forum will agree you'll always be welcome.

Ouch. What was that other driver thinking? Opposite reactions to turn into oncoming traffic due to being used to driving on the other side I wonder.

I’m glad you’re OK, looks like it was quite a hard impact. The arrogance’s of the van driver is shocking and would have made me quite irate to be fair. I hope his insurance premium and payout is horrible.

1. Very glad you're OK.

2. Witnesses? Any chance someone will try to blame you?

3. I've just driven on the wrong side of the road for a month when I was back in the UK.  VERY easy to drop into autopilot and swing out of a driveway onto the usual side of the road, if it's empty, only to face someone else as you round a corner.  Wonder if that's what he did.

4. Some people are genuinely ba5tards, others are too embarrassed/shocked by their own mistakes to be able to admit it at the time.  Try to dismiss it as the heat of the moment.  Unless they really do fight the insurance claim, then fly over and sack Berlin.  (Oh sorry wrong era - though that one might be starting again...)

5. Collect valuations for your car by finding adverts of similar spec, and send the most expensive to the insurance company. They'll lowball you with the first, be prepared to fight and they will boost it eventually.

6. Start hunting for another :)

Very best of luck.

Christ alive that's nasty, glad you came out relatively unscathed - shame the same can't be said for your Boxster but coming from a crash like you've gotta be grateful you're in one piece and that metal can be replaced... body parts less so.

Hope to see you in another soon and good luck with the insurance - don't accept any silly, low offer, and what a tool in the german van 🤬

Sad to see a nice old 2.5 go, but glad it protected you as it's last act🙂. I'd be really upset if I lost my car thus way as it's worth buttons, but it's such a great car. Hope the insurance offer is decent and we see you in another one soon.

Ouch! Glad you are physically OK but I suspect the mental scars will last longer - I know they would for me! Stick around the forum - you know its the best place to buy your next Boxster.

Glad you are ok - hope you can ride shotgun with some of the guys while hunting for the next one .

RIP

Can't see from the pictures of the result how any reasonable investigation could put blame on the Boxster driver.  However insurers and reasonable do not necessarily occur in the same sentence.

Best of luck and if you get another 986 you can at least use the wheels and PS2s.

Jesus that looks nasty.  At least you are ok though you need to sure to get checked out carefully.  Some injuries, particularly spinal, can take time to make themselves known especially when the adrenaline has been flowing.  I'd hate to think you miss an opportunity to take the German insurers for whiplash ;)

I presume you tried to swerve onto the other carriageway to avoid him, he did the same and as you were a bit quicker he steered into you.  Not a whole lot you could have done about that and hopefully the insurance companies see it as clearly. 

Well done for keeping your cool in the face of comments such as those.  I'm afraid I might have struggled to avoid slapping him. 

Raid the car for anything that isn't bolted on before the insurance get hold of it and fight them hard for a good payout.  Look forward to the hunt for a new one.

Ouch. Glad you're ok - metal can be replaced and money can be earnt.

Adrenaline can do funny things to people's thought processes, and probably counts double when you're conversing in a foreign (to them) language ... so I wouldn't hold the van driver's comments against them too much.

Hope all is sorted out smoothly & you're back in a Boxster again soon.

Archived