Project 387

timbobalobox

My bucket list used to have "build a kit car" on it, I read threads like these and I realise that that my level of patience sits way to low.

Anyway I took the time to punch a hole in the bucket and now my list consists of, get up, survive the day, go to bed.

You are doing a great job and I always look forward to your updates.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Monday morning update...

I couldn't get a decent run at it this weekend due to family commitments, but had an hour here and there so managed to get some bits done.

Little things like the rear badge and messing around with the exhaust options - it needs to be extended as the rear body is longer.  I quite like the simple single pipe, but I think I might wait until it's back on it's wheels so I can see it properly from the back before I commit.  Perspective is strange here as it's level but looks like it points down in the picture 🤨 Just noticed you can see my rough workings out for getting it made!

IMG_5370

Also managed to do the other headlight bracket - lug from the front (also rubber gasket on)

IMG_5352

And from the back (awkward picture!).  It's not neatest as it was a complete pain getting it to follow the body, whilst retaining enough flat on flat for strength.  Thankfully it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere! 

IMG_5353

Played around a bit with the side 'Speedster' badges and pegasus options;

With both, in the traditional place (a bit crowded as we have the side repeaters)

IMG_5366

Without;

IMG_5368

Then on the rear;

IMG_5367IMG_5369

Or on the hump (favourite so far I think)

IMG_5394

Set about trimming the tonneau covers and mounted the quick release pop-catch for the hump - it needs a touch more so it pulls flat.  Any gaps should also be covered by the leather

IMG_5391

Also put the front valance on so I can work out where best to put the front Porsche badge - I was waiting to get some of the electrics out of the way first as access isn't the best with it on.  Had to put the plate on too!  I think the perspective is out here as it's dead level with the gap in the flesh, weird. 

IMG_5393

Had a bash at the battery cover, first time upholstering, so don't judge :D  Hole is for the washer fluid filler

IMG_5387

Tape on

IMG_5388

And stuck

IMG_5389

Roughly in place - I've applied a bit of heat from a hairdryer and that crease is coming out.  I'll see if it stretches out over the next day or so too.  Needs a smidge of work around the corners then it should drop in nicely.  I should have a panel to cover the top hole as well, just need to find it in the pile of bits :D 

IMG_5390

Oh, and finally picked up the wheels too :)  I'm half tempted to get the middle powder coated in gold to match the gold in the paint and badges, but it's going to a mission to match it!  Just need to get some tyres and I'll put them on the car 👍

IMG_5354

That's it for now, I'm hoping to get a couple of evenings this week on it so can make some progress.  With the weather improving I'm desperate to get it done!

Have a good week 👍

• Like 5

I agree that out of those you've illustrated, the hump is the best place for the Pegasus. Remember that forward of the rear wheel arch is the location that Porsche fit PPF to protect against chips, so it would get hit. Too busy in the front wing.

I guess you can't put Speedster in line with the repeater? It looks long and would perhaps hit the curve of the top of the wheel arch.

try using steam for that crease - either clothes iron or wall paper stripper, or hold above kettle spout (wear suitable protection)

But you may need to re-tension after the steam.  

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I agree that out of those you've illustrated, the hump is the best place for the Pegasus. Remember that forward of the rear wheel arch is the location that Porsche fit PPF to protect against chips, so it would get hit. Too busy in the front wing.

Good point - hadn't considered it'd get peppered there!  

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I guess you can't put Speedster in line with the repeater? It looks long and would perhaps hit the curve of the top of the wheel arch.

It is a bit long really to go there unfortunately, it was always a balance over where to put everything so it looks 'right'

11 hours ago, entdgc said:

Controversial but do you REALLY need the Pegasus? Loving the rest of the work.

Plus another one, please excuse my bluntness, IMO the car looks class, that sticker looks naff.

Whilst I am being offensive, I get why you think one exhaust would be cool but as this is a "re-imagined" car on modern mechanicals, personally I think two pipes are more appropriate.

Great work as always.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, entdgc said:

Controversial but do you REALLY need the Pegasus? Loving the rest of the work.

Not at all - I've been in two minds about it so a while, particularly on the green paintwork.  On the right car I think it can look good;

Capture4

They weren't expensive (~£7.50!) so was happy to buy and try.  Easier to leave them off than bu55er the paint!

44 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Whilst I am being offensive, I get why you think one exhaust would be cool but as this is a "re-imagined" car on modern mechanicals, personally I think two pipes are more appropriate.

Great work as always.

It's really hard to see what I want at the moment with it up on stands and not being on the ground with the wheels - the one that grabbed my eye on YouTube originally had these carbon Akrapovic tips on, which whilst the shape is good I'm not sure I'd have the same name/finish so visible

Rear

Also not a fan of the Pegasus, think it cheapens the look of such a classic car.  And personally I think 2 exhausts or twin exhausts always look better than one. Just my opinion of course.

10 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Not at all - I've been in two minds about it so a while, particularly on the green paintwork.  On the right car I think it can look good;

Capture4

They weren't expensive (~£7.50!) so was happy to buy and try.  Easier to leave them off than bu55er the paint!

Not my car but I wouldn’t use them if it were mine, better without imho.