Boxster #4

Bike Loon

So number 4 went for a service as last one was April 2021.

All good, my mechnic says it is nice and clean underneath etc. Only comment he made was he thought the oil looked a bit dirty but I guess 7k miles and 2 years since the last change wouldn't be the best.
I do not think the 2 year schedule is a good thing and always at least change the oil and filter every 12 months regardless

Nice new Mobil 1 in it now with a new OEM filter and service indicator reset and service book all stamped!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

So number 4 went for a service as last one was April 2021.

All good, my mechnic says it is nice and clean underneath etc. Only comment he made was he thought the oil looked a bit dirty but I guess 7k miles and 2 years since the last change wouldn't be the best.
I do not think the 2 year schedule is a good thing and always at least change the oil and filter every 12 months regardless

Nice new Mobil 1 in it now with a new OEM filter and service indicator reset and service book all stamped!

Good to see you are still looking after it! 😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So on my way home from work today, the road that runs along the bottom of my one has "traffic calming" bollards designed to slow cars down and force people to give way. The VW Transporter coming the other way clearly thought he shouldn't have to wait and veered onto my side of the road and forced his way through. I gave him the obligatory hand signal as he passed and thought nothing more of it. 20 seconds later I turned left onto my road. It is a 20mph limit as there is a primary school there and the sleeping Policeman things, so I brake for the sleeping Policeman and BANG there is the same VW Transporter planted in the back of my car 😡

He had basically "seen red mist" that I gave him a hand signal to the point that he turned around, and had chased me down. When he got out the van he said "why did you brake" to which I pointed at the sleeping Policeman bollard.

There are 2 witnesses who said he was flying up the road at full throttle.
He has begrudgingly admitted liabilty and when he calmed down seemed like a decent guy who said he was having a bad day and saw red.

So the exhaust is very bent, the rear bumper is shafted and no doubt there will be other unseen damage. I reckon he must have been doing 30 when he hit me when I was nearly at a standstill.

I have filled out the online thing for Swiftcover and taken the pictures that their app asked for and I got an email saying the approved repairers would be in touch.

I am quite worried about that as I know the quality of work can be very hit and miss and I do not know whats damaged behind that bumper cover and how much of the exhaust is buggered.

Still this part of the email is fun...

Your replacement vehicle

Enterprise Rent-A-Car will be in touch by the end of the next working day to discuss your replacement vehicle which will be of a similar body type, size and transmission to your vehicle and will have the same number of doors and seats.

52816813072_6b6fd2ff23_o_d.jpg

"Why did I brake" I wonder...

52817783490_f9ba43db1a_o_d.jpg

Seriously. If you can't handle a hand signal to the extent you have to turn round and chase someone down (implying that you actually had spare time to slow down for the initial encounter), get off the fekkin road.

I'm sure he saw reason and calmed down once you explained your career path.

Yeah he realised what a tool he had been about 30 seconds after the event.

I am thinking that I am not going to take the car my insurance companies choice of approved repairer on the basis that I have the right to choose where it goes and I know the exact bodyshop that will do a perfect job and the fact that its Mr Road Rages insurance that is paying. They did a great job on the from end of my 2nd 987.1 and I have known the guys that run it for 30 years. Ironic they used to be the local Porsche approved repair centre too

I always think insurance companies have a vested interest in their "approved repairers".
Thats one for my conversation with them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sorry to read of your strife.  Hopefully @BBB is correct re-exhaust as even with a new bumper PU that's not a cheap repair and who knows if the crumple supports for the bumper bar have been affected.

As far as replacement cars go I ended up with an Audi A4 when my Alfa 147 was rear ended a few years ago, 'We're terribly sorry, sir, but we can't provide you with an Alfa Romeo, will an Audi A4 be OK?  It will be delivered by 10 am tomorrow.'  And it was.

May be my interest is waning ☹️ or that margin has slipped.  No seriosuly, its a b*tch when these things happen, but you can't undo them.  But be over the repairers like a rash.  If they think you'll be critical they are more likely to get it right first time.  If it ain't right, don't accept it.  Just bear in mind if there is hidden damage to the exhaust and the PU price then paint, prep and labour that could be £8k+ in repairs if back boxes and cats are required at Porsche prices.  Hopefully not though.

• Like 1

Just looked and the exhaust went back to original position with a gentle pull... I will try to get to the clamps when its not raining and see if they need tightening a bit now.

Yeah thats the thing 2 tons + of VW Transporter smacking into the back when I am braking makes me wonder what can't be seen.

I have thought about it overnight and I am not going to take it to the approved repairer. Its not for my insurance company to choose and the claim will be off the VW insurance. Him hitting the rear of my car in a 20mph limit and doing that amount of damage is pretty clear cut to start with but there are also 2 witnesses who said he was going up the road at full throttle.

The garage that did my old 987 will be getting the work. They made this 129,000 cars front end look like this

30823283418_636b2e429e_o_d.jpg

• Like 1

You could ask your OPC who they use for bodywork. When someone ran into the back of my S3 I went through my Audi main dealer who put me in touch with a claims handling firm and it went to the local bodyshop Audi use (a very professional outfit). My car had the works, new cover, metal work behind, new trim, reversing sensors etc, even ceramic coating replaced. You couldn't tell it had ever been done and that is the standard of repair you are entitled to. Loan car was an A5 convertible that I had for five days. Total cost of the job was around £2700 for the repair and £2500 for the car hire. No doubt Audi received a bounty payment . The claims handling firm sorted out everything including recovering my excess and NCD 'unaffected'. It did put about £30 on my next year's premium though 'because I was more likely to make a claim in the future'.

I wonder why car insurance is so expensive?  

• Like 1

I have used the local company for years way back to a Capri 2.0S and a Sierra Cosworth I had, and their work is always impeccable. The one time I spotted something I was not happy with after collection it was rectified with no quibbling so that is where it will go.

On my way to work this morning, I notice the rear parking sensors are now not working and one of the number plate lights has disappeared back behind the bumper. You can see the gap between the rear spoiler and the bumper is much bigger now and at some speeds it does feel like the exhaust is touching somewhere.

The approved repairer just rung and I politely explained that I did not know them but wanted to use a garage I used before which of course they totally understood.

Hopefully it should not be too much of a pain but it is definitely bumper cover, exhaust tips bumper surround, parking sensors and a number plate light so far. I would imagine the parts bill will be ridiculous with it being Porsche

6 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Just looked and the exhaust went back to original position with a gentle pull... I will try to get to the clamps when its not raining and see if they need tightening a bit now.

Yeah thats the thing 2 tons + of VW Transporter smacking into the back when I am braking makes me wonder what can't be seen.

I have thought about it overnight and I am not going to take it to the approved repairer. Its not for my insurance company to choose and the claim will be off the VW insurance. Him hitting the rear of my car in a 20mph limit and doing that amount of damage is pretty clear cut to start with but there are also 2 witnesses who said he was going up the road at full throttle.

The garage that did my old 987 will be getting the work. They made this 129,000 cars front end look like this

30823283418_636b2e429e_o_d.jpg

I would agree with your sentiment of not taking it to someone you know will do a good job. Some of the approved repairers are large volume ones and are not great. 

Had a look under it today and done some pricing off Design 911.

Clamps on exhaust tips have sheered in the crash and damge to one of the tips. So thats the best part of £800 to replace them, basic bumper cover £1,000, parking sensors £200 each 😮 , bumper brackets with heat protection, bumper retaining frame, few other bits ike diffusers and exhaust exit surround and you are looking at a parts bill of at least £3,500 without paint and labour cost added.

Now that I have rotated the tips back, Visably from the outside its the creases in the bumper cover and thats it. Easy to see how some older Porsches get written off for what appears to be very light damage!

Edited by Bike Loon

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Had a look under it today and done some pricing off Design 911.

Clamps on exhaust tips have sheered in the crash and damge to one of the tips. So thats the best part of £800 to replace them, basic bumper cover £1,000, parking sensors £200 each 😮 , bumper brackets with heat protection, bumper retaining frame, few other bits ike diffusers and exhaust exit surround and you are looking at a parts bill of at least £3,500 without paint and labour cost added.

Now that I have rotated the tips back, Visably from the outside its the creases in the bumper cover and thats it. Easy to see how some older Porsches get written off for what appears to be very light damage!

I had a light nudge when stationary in my 987.1.

Offending vehicle did about 10mph into the back of it and it came to about £3k including bumper, paint, labour…no damage underneath in my case.

Well the car is technically drivable, but with all the plastic connectors at the bottom of the bumper broken it is not exactly super secure.

I will see what tomorrow brings from my insurer and the car hire co.

I have already made a list of the part numbers that I can see are broken ready for my repairer. I am one of those people that I have to be checking myself

Not heard anything from Enterprise re a replacement loan car.

I had a text from Aviva (I assume Mr VW's insurance co) with a link to click to give my statement which I completed. I am sure they will be in no rush to admit liability but really I do not see how they can drag it out, it is as cut and dried as it gets.

I emailed Swiftocver this evening re the replacement car and confirming that I had received contact from their approved repairers and told them I would not be taking it to them. Gave the details of the repair centre I want it to go to, so guess its the waiting game

1 minute ago, Bike Loon said:

Not heard anything from Enterprise re a replacement loan car.

I had a text from Aviva (I assume Mr VW's insurance co) with a link to click to give my statement which I completed. I am sure they will be in no rush to admit liability but really I do not see how they can drag it out, it is as cut and dried as it gets.

I emailed Swiftocver this evening re the replacement car and confirming that I had received contact from their approved repairers and told them I would not be taking it to them. Gave the details of the repair centre I want it to go to, so guess its the waiting game

Righto, again hope it works with min agg. Your repairer of choice given you a quote yet ?

Nope, I emailed them the list of part numbers that I have seen are broken. They have not seen the car yet, I am still driving it

They will look after me, I have used them loads of times for paint. I am going to get the front bumper and bonnet resprayed (to get rid of the stone chips) while its in for the insurance work and get the wheels refurbished too.

There isnt a huge amount of stone chips really but being a black car they really stand out so they gotta go!

Edited by Bike Loon