Boxster #4

Bike Loon

7 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Got registred on "My Porsche"

The front grills are "Exterior Package Alu look opaque" and the mirrors are "Wing Mirror Alu look opaque"

Looks like it has had the wheels changed at some point as it came with "19 inch Turbo Wheels - Forged 2 tone"

If they are the ones I think, I prefer the ones that are on it!

Yeah reckon I could ask maybe as high as £15,500 ;)

10k off for the exhaust tips.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There is no point in selling, unless you need the profit as you will always regret it as you will never find one better specced at that sort of money, if at all. Dealer demo imo!!

Good buy 👍 

Edited by jimmy p
  • Like 1

Bit of an update... I didnt use the car for a couple of days and as usual we had torrential rain. Went to get in the car and drivers window was steamed up. Checked behind the seat and it was soaking wet. I had checked the drain holes last week and opened the clamshell and realised that I had checked the rear ones near the rear spoiler but had got side tracked and not checked the ones with the filters in and sure enough it was blocked on the drivers side. Cleaned the filters out on ran the trombone cleaner through it and tested it and all clear now.

Fortunately the carpet under the back of the drivers seat can be lifted where it meets the bulkhead making it easier to get all the water out the sound deadening. Used a combination of a vacuum cleaner and hair dryer and now the carpet and sound deadening pretty much 100% dry.

Went to drive the car and no sound from the stereo. :(

Checked the Amp under the drivers seat and it was dry and did not look like the water ingress had got that far as there was a leaf next to the stereo and that was dry.

52768816003_2953a8eab3_o_d.jpg

Did a bit of reasearch and it looked like there was no output from the amp. Was is coincidence? Who knows. Did some more research and if you can find any of these amps for sale they are silly money. So options were switch out to aftermarket head unit but with the Bose and Amp system it would be expensive to replace, find a functioning amp or send my faulty one off to be fixed.

I also noticed the centre line on the display under the rev counter did not show the radio station either. The PCM 3.0 was still showing everything correctly though. With a bit of assistance from @Richard Hamilton I was hopeful it was all down to the amp.

There are various companies that advertise being able to repair these amps and I would imagine water damage as a cause would keep them busy due to the Amp location.

I did various searches on ebay using various key words and stumbled upon a full set of bose speakers, sub deck and amp from a 3.4 PDK 2009 Boxster S at a Breakers in Poole. Advertised at Buy it Now for £348 inc delivery. I checked the pics and double checked to make sure it was from a 987.2 and very quickly clicked BIN

52779768890_2410bb8011_o_d.jpg

Huge box turned up today, honestly it could not have been packed any better.
Set to getting the old amp out, under the drivers seat it is not the most accessable to get the securing bolts out. When I took it out, it was clear it has not had water contact at all so maybe it is coincidence it went at the same time. Swopped it over with the replacement one, put the key in and success, we have sound from the speakers and everything back to normal... very relieved!

So I want to send the faulty amp to one of these companies to get it repaired so I can sell it on as they seem to sell for big money (and I want to sell the full set of Bose speakers and sub deck that I do not need if anyone wants them!)

Anyone had any expeience with any of the companies that repair Amps?
I have had a conversation with a couple of them and Cartronics in Surrey do a service where you can send the unit to them and they will check whats wrong with it and then give you a quote to fix it. If you do not accept the quote, they charge you £79 for the engineers time and return shipping.

Thanks to Richard for his assistance :)

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 1

Fek and sounds like in the bigger scheme of things you dodged a bullet.

I had a similar near miss in a previous car. I stuck a baby dehumidifier in the car and lifted up the carpet with a shallow Tupperware box to allow airflow whilst drying out.

No personal experience of Cartronics but have heard of good outcomes with people using them.

Good Luck sorting 👍

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Well done for sorting and I don’t want to be a “buzz kill” but if that drain has been blocked a while then it’s possible the amp got wet previously even if it’s dry this time.  

suggest perhaps have a look inside yourself before you commit to a repair - if it’s all crusty and nasty then you may decide to call it scrap.  

also.  Again no personal experience of cartronics and can’t recall any bad press but I seem to remember there was a guy in either Netherlands or Belgium who some folk used who was very cheap and very good - can’t find anything in a search but might trigger someone’s memory. 

hope it’s your last drama.  

• Like 1

The drain is all good, it was some small debris trapped in the grill at the top that blocked it, its had a good going through with the trombone cleaner and flows lovely now :D

The casing on the amp is pristine as is the floor underneath where it sits. I have seen pics of ones that have suffered water ingress and the casing always turns green on the bottom from the look of it.

Will definitely get it sent to be fixed, looking on ebay completed listings there seems to be a good market for Bose speakers / sub shelf so should get my money back hopefully!

On 3/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, Bike Loon said:

The drain is all good, it was some small debris trapped in the grill at the top that blocked it, its had a good going through with the trombone cleaner and flows lovely now :D

The casing on the amp is pristine as is the floor underneath where it sits. I have seen pics of ones that have suffered water ingress and the casing always turns green on the bottom from the look of it.

Will definitely get it sent to be fixed, looking on ebay completed listings there seems to be a good market for Bose speakers / sub shelf so should get my money back hopefully!

I would recommend cartronics - they fixed the PCM3.0 headunit in mine when i had a similar problem, although it was the internal power supply in the headunit rather than the amp itself - they appear to do a lot of porsche radio repairs and were very good.

Maybe too late - but is it possible to remount the amp on some spacers to move it off the floor a bit - so if you do get any more water in there, it may not fry it straight away?

Edited by Mattman42

On 3/29/2023 at 4:29 PM, Bike Loon said:

Bit of an update... I didnt use the car for a couple of days and as usual we had torrential rain. Went to get in the car and drivers window was steamed up. Checked behind the seat and it was soaking wet. I had checked the drain holes last week and opened the clamshell and realised that I had checked the rear ones near the rear spoiler but had got side tracked and not checked the ones with the filters in and sure enough it was blocked on the drivers side. Cleaned the filters out on ran the trombone cleaner through it and tested it and all clear now.

Fortunately the carpet under the back of the drivers seat can be lifted where it meets the bulkhead making it easier to get all the water out the sound deadening. Used a combination of a vacuum cleaner and hair dryer and now the carpet and sound deadening pretty much 100% dry.

Went to drive the car and no sound from the stereo. :(

Checked the Amp under the drivers seat and it was dry and did not look like the water ingress had got that far as there was a leaf next to the stereo and that was dry.

52768816003_2953a8eab3_o_d.jpg

Did a bit of reasearch and it looked like there was no output from the amp. Was is coincidence? Who knows. Did some more research and if you can find any of these amps for sale they are silly money. So options were switch out to aftermarket head unit but with the Bose and Amp system it would be expensive to replace, find a functioning amp or send my faulty one off to be fixed.

I also noticed the centre line on the display under the rev counter did not show the radio station either. The PCM 3.0 was still showing everything correctly though. With a bit of assistance from @Richard Hamilton I was hopeful it was all down to the amp.

There are various companies that advertise being able to repair these amps and I would imagine water damage as a cause would keep them busy due to the Amp location.

I did various searches on ebay using various key words and stumbled upon a full set of bose speakers, sub deck and amp from a 3.4 PDK 2009 Boxster S at a Breakers in Poole. Advertised at Buy it Now for £348 inc delivery. I checked the pics and double checked to make sure it was from a 987.2 and very quickly clicked BIN

52779768890_2410bb8011_o_d.jpg

Huge box turned up today, honestly it could not have been packed any better.
Set to getting the old amp out, under the drivers seat it is not the most accessable to get the securing bolts out. When I took it out, it was clear it has not had water contact at all so maybe it is coincidence it went at the same time. Swopped it over with the replacement one, put the key in and success, we have sound from the speakers and everything back to normal... very relieved!

So I want to send the faulty amp to one of these companies to get it repaired so I can sell it on as they seem to sell for big money (and I want to sell the full set of Bose speakers and sub deck that I do not need if anyone wants them!)

Anyone had any expeience with any of the companies that repair Amps?
I have had a conversation with a couple of them and Cartronics in Surrey do a service where you can send the unit to them and they will check whats wrong with it and then give you a quote to fix it. If you do not accept the quote, they charge you £79 for the engineers time and return shipping.

Thanks to Richard for his assistance :)

So in true wheeler dealers style i assume you are going to list all the rest of that, minus the amp on ebay for £500?? :)

• Haha 1

Hi Matt,

I am 99% certain it did not get wet. There was a leaf next to the amp which was bone dry and no sign of water on the amp or under it. It was definitely the drain that was blocked as we have had non stop rain the last 2 days and the carpet is still dry, so I will just check the drains every few weeks.

I have sent it to Cartronics and await their report. I am torn between selling it on when it comes back or keeping it as a spare. It seems there is a demand for them and they fit a fair few cars. 

I have also bought another one off ebay which is water damaged for £30. Thinking I can get that fixed and then sell that on.

The speakers do sell looking at the completed listings, the sub shelf is especially popular so we will see.

Edited by Bike Loon

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Hi Matt,

I am 99% certain it did not get wet. There was a leaf next to the amp which was bone dry and no sign of water on the amp or under it. It was definitely the drain that was blocked as we have had non stop rain the last 2 days and the carpet is still dry, so I will just check the drains every few weeks.

I have sent it to Cartronics and await their report. I am torn between selling it on when it comes back or keeping it as a spare. It seems there is a demand for them and they fit a fair few cars. 

I have also bought another one off ebay which is water damaged for £30. Thinking I can get that fixed and then sell that on.

The speakers do sell looking at the completed listings, the sub shelf is especially popular so we will see.

You need to change your user name to Bike_WheelerDealer_Loon  :)

Re amp repairers,

No actual experience of their repair handiwork, but when I was looking to fit rear speakers in Feb 2022, came across these:

ASK amp repair outfit , Chris at boserepairexperts.co.uk.  He confirmed that the amp in the 997.2 does have an extra module to support rear speaker channels in the amp, hence the difference in part number (997 645 442 00) with that in the 987.2;

Tore Bergvill does not repair the 987.2 amps (yet) as no great demand to service these to date - this might have changed as year old status

• Like 1

Well I don't think I will be going down the repair route.

"Engineer reports:

Unit is confirmed as faulty, amplifier has water damage. 
Please fix leak before refitting.

Unit requires logic control board remanufacture + MOST output replacement.

Cost to repair amplifier : £625+Vat (includes keeping data to allow a plug and play refit).

Would you like to repair?"

Don't think I will be sending the one I bought on ebay for £30 to them either as that has visable water contact on it where as mine did not!

5 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Well I don't think I will be going down the repair route.

"Engineer reports:

Unit is confirmed as faulty, amplifier has water damage. 
Please fix leak before refitting.

Unit requires logic control board remanufacture + MOST output replacement.

Cost to repair amplifier : £625+Vat (includes keeping data to allow a plug and play refit).

Would you like to repair?"

Don't think I will be sending the one I bought on ebay for £30 to them either as that has visable water contact on it where as mine did not!

Yup sometimes bailing is the right thing to do.

• Like 1