Boxster #4

Bike Loon

So I am back again :D Having had the 986S for several years, then a 987.1 3.2S for a short time, followed by an 987.1S 3.4 from @Araf I had to sell that one when my commute distance went up massively and then had 4 years in the Alfa Spider 2.4JTDM. My commute changed last year to 8 miles each way and I sold the Alfa just after Christmas and have been hunting ever since.

I wanted a 987.2 and I wanted a 3.4 but prices had turned silly due to Buttercup / lack of new cars etc. It seemed even a poverty spec one was going for £16-17k and I had kind of resigned myself to not having one for a while as I wasn't going to pay that for a lower spec one.

So yesterday morning @Araf posted a link to an Auction near him that had a 2010 987.2 3.4S with 79,000 miles on. I checked the MOT history and all good. Service book present with 6 stamps in.
In typical auction fashion they either did not know or maybe didnt care about the spec, but from looking at the few pics there were it ticked a lot of boxes that I wanted. Sports Crono, PSE, Extended leather, Heated Sports seats, Steering wheel controls for the PCM3 and Litronic headlights were in the pics. The pics also showed a few tiny scratches and the obligatory roof elastic needs tightening! The only problem... the auction started at 10am and finished at 2pm and it was already 10-30am! The opening bid was set to £13,500 and nobody had bid.

Just getting registered to bid I had to provide proof of ID and a utility bill via email. I blagged my way out of work, went home and got the things I needed, went back to work and submitted them. Then the wait to be approved to bid... this came at 1pm and still no bids but I knew it would be a bit like ebay with late bids. I bid and it said reserve not met.. bugger. I know there was a buyers fee of just under £500 given the price it would go for, factored that in and decided that I would set a limit of £17,500 meaning a total cost of £18k. I set the amount and it to £17,500 and the bid jumped to £13,650 and reserve met...

Time ticked on, at 1-20 someone else had a couple of bids as it jumped to £14,250. 5 mins to go, 2 mins to go, 1 min to go... no more bids. 20 seconds to go... 10 seconds to go, then the price jumped to £14,450 and the countdown went up 30 seconds! It seems that when someone bids with a few seconds to go it adds time on...the time ticked down to zero and I was amazed I had got it for £14,450 plus the buyers fee making £14,980. I rung them up to double check it was not provisional etc and it was all good.

Went to pick it up today. It looked great in the flesh, went and got the key and started it up and part dropped the roof to get the roof in the runners correctly. Got back in the car and I could see the Check Engine Light was on... bugger. Drove the car and all seemed fine and dandy so hoping the CEL is nothing too dramatic.
Wow this thing goes... it is the first Boxster I have had that is PDK and it is a superb drive with the 7 speed box. I then on the way home noticed a load more options that you could not see in the pictures. As well as the above mentioned it has Sport and Sport + buttons, PASM, Auto dipping interior mirror, Auto Wipers and Full electric memory seats, colour coded centre console and roll hoops as well. Whoever bought this new properly went all out on the spec!

No pics of the outside yet as I need to clean it properly, I will get the code looked at and cleared. I am tempted to flip it as there is a good profit to be had but I think I will keep it and enjoy it for a while.

But its not a bad centre dash view! Thanks @Araf for the link!

52749830113_484acb9f8b_o_d.jpg

Might need to find an online owners manual to work out what to do with everything!

52749333441_0b5b029a5a_o_d.jpg

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Stupidly high spec - though I think with the dash it's classed as full leather.  Extended leather is just seats and door storage lids (IIRC).  All it seems to be missing is a Black Edition badge, to be worth close to double what you paid.

I should have warned you about the anti-sniping inside 10 seconds.  I've seen cars take an extra 5 minutes to sell because of it.

The memory seats work with the keys as well as the buttons on the door, so as soon as you unlock the car, the seat starts moving to the correct position for that key. 

Ahh yes, the top of the doors are leather as well. I think they hit pretty much every option apart form air conditioned seats!

Being black I can use the expensive Nattys polish and Poorboys black hole left over from the Alfa to make it gleam.

Lovely drive though, no rattles or creaks and no wind noise on the motorway with the windows up.

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 1

That sounds brilliant mate, and a great story, well played that man! :thumbsup_still:

I hope you end up keeping it instead of flipping for a quick profit - You can't put a price on the pleasure you will get from such a great car.  Looking forward to seeing a few pics when you've cleaned it up.

• Like 1

You lucky, lucky, barsteward!

Congrats on the purchase.  Hope all the toys work and that the CEL isn't expensive to fix. 

BTW When you eventually come to sell, hopefully not for a few years, drop me a line please!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Not yet, waiting for my mechanic to be free. The car is running perfectly so hopefully it’s something simple 

I think a lot of us have a cheapo OBD dongle and use something like the CARS SCANNER app to read codes.    In fact I keep one in the glove box.   I have DURAMETRIC too but the cheap dongle is fine for basic code reading and reset the CEL.    Depends how hands on you.     

Good luck with it and welcome back.      

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

I am tempted to flip it as there is a good profit to be had but I think I will keep it and enjoy it for a while.

"Hold out your Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand !" 

You've been hanging around with @Mattman42, I think even he hasn't sold one before he's had it for a day ;)

Enjoy !

Edited by iborguk
  • Haha 3

I had a 3.5 litre rover for 3 hours.  

Bought it from someone my mrs knew for nearly nothing - think about 600 quid.  She dropped me to collect it and I went home via the pub where local car club was meeting.  Got talking to a guy who said he was looking for a v8 to put into his tr7 - he had a look at mine and offered me 800 for it. 

I gave him a lift to his dads to get the cash and he dropped me home and took the car.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I had a 3.5 litre rover for 3 hours.  

Bought it from someone my mrs knew for nearly nothing - think about 600 quid.  She dropped me to collect it and I went home via the pub where local car club was meeting.  Got talking to a guy who said he was looking for a v8 to put into his tr7 - he had a look at mine and offered me 800 for it. 

I gave him a lift to his dads to get the cash and he dropped me home and took the car.  

Proper agile sales !

Edited by iborguk

Congrats @Bike Loon - sounds like you got a proper bargain there. Hopefully the CEL is something simple, although there is lots of headroom at that price.

sounds like an awesome spec too - hurry up and clean it so you can post up some pics.

I’ll do you a favour and take the knackered old Alfa off your hands for £350. 

shortest I’ve owned a car is 2 weeks so far - but when I was trading I did take a PX on and sell it to someone else within a couple of hours :)

Edited by Mattman42
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Philc said:

You should get a physical owners manual to start the book pack.

Ooo look theres one available here😇

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/96483-9872-drivers-manualquick-reference-guidecdr30-manual/

Looked in the glovebox this morning and all manuals in there in a lovely leather holder :)

So through reading the Owners manual last night, I discovered another optional extra that is available. So this morning felt behind the bottom of the steering wheel and sure enough....

52750078187_9aa436d85c_o_d.jpg

Of course it has a heated steering wheel!

I have cleared the codes and will look them up in a bit and report back , it has not come back yet though.
Interesting tyre combo, Pirelli P Zero fronts and Nankang rears 😁

Quick picture of it as it sits. In normal daylight it is excellent, couple of tiny scratches which should touch in but apart from that it is damn good.

52750078192_8183a69034_o_d.jpg

• Like 5